Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my build, I'm planning on a 345HP/302 Ford Performance crate engine. I want to get the kit and the engine at the same time. It might be a year or so before I'm ready to install it and start it up. Could be sooner, I'm just guessing at this point. During the time I'm working towards getting a roller, I plan to get the accesories, etc. for the engine together, along with dressing it up. Are there any concerns that I should have about letting the engine sit this long without starting it. I've been told it's not a good idea to let it sit this long. Don't they have a light coat of some type of preservative oil to help prevent corrosion? Bad idea or don't worry about it, it will be fine???

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
Hi Devin

You really should not have to worry about it but I would take precautions anyway. Make sure that the intake is protected from any kind of moisture/condensation buildup. Keep the intake area completely covered so nothing falls in and maybe turn the crankshaft at least 2-4 complete rotations, it takes 2 complete rotations to complete a single cycle, every so often w/out the plugs in it to keep the cylinder wall and rings from sticking together, then put the plugs back in to keep the moisture out of there also. Don't forget to also cover the exaust ports so no critters crawl in there and make a nest! You can spray a light coat of a wd-40 type stuff if you like, it couldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
Max is right on da money. I would only add that it might be a good idea to fill the crank case and get an oil prelube tool and use it to cirnulate oil throught the engine at least once a month (reverse rotation on the drill)

The other thing you'll want to to do if you are using the AM Vintage gauges and not the stock oil pan is have a new plug welded into the oil pan to accommodate the oil temp gauge. Something I wish someone would've told me YESTERDAY!

Enjoy and good luck!

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
Hey Devin,

If you are worried about the motor sitting, have it delivered to my house. I will personally make sure that it is well taken care of (and broken in) by the time you are ready for it!

Cai

·
FFCobra Craftsman
732 Posts
Just got my engine back from the builder. He said it was no problem if I didn't start it right away. He said some guys have waited over 2 years and there was no problem. If it wasn't going to be started in a few months, he recommended not setting the valve lash, keeping the springs unloaded.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't think there would be a problem but just wanted to check with my band of experts :D . I plan on doing the port covering like Max explained. I don't need the critters moving in.

lilnuke, that sounds like a plan. I'll use your address as the billing address too, right :eek: LOL.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,735 Posts
Get some marine engine fogging oil. It sticks to the cylinder walls better and will last much longer than WD-40.

Rick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts