Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I KNOW THERE'S A TON OF ENGINE THREADS OUT THERE, BUT I HAVE ONE SIMPLE ENGINE QUESTION. WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE, IF ANY, OF A '88 EFI 5.0 DONOR ENGINE OVER A CRATE 351W. BESIDES THE COST :confused:

·
Registered
317 Posts
A 351 will also give you bucket loads more torque as well as the ponies, and lets face it's the torque you feel when your driving. A 351 with a through a 4 into 4 header (no cat) will give you all the rumble you could ask for. I know as I have just gotten my carbed 351 running and it sounds so damm good it's hard to get the smile off my face.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,725 Posts
Weight?

Yeah, maybe 60 lbs at best. I had a 302 and sold it with the T-5 and got a 351w turnkey motor with a Tremec TKO and haven't looked back.

JonR: I agree, my heart pounds in anticipation everytime I start her up!

JQ

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
MWV - at the risk of getting trashed, here I go....

If you stay with a mild build, the 351 is obviously going to produce more hp and be more torquey, but it is not the slide in that the 302 is. However, the 302 can be built with off the shelf parts to sounds and hp that is unbelieveable. We dyno'd 440 rwhp (535 crank) with our 302 and when we stop at a light, whatever pulls up next to us knows that he did not bring enough. If I did it again, I'd go with a 331 Iron Eagle (enough hp is never enough).

Frank n Sons.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
If you just want the sound to tick off the neighbors, change the cam and save a heck of a lot of dough. If you want a show car, or a scary-fast race car, get the bigger engine, but the 302 is plenty fast for a "normal" person.

All the best,
Tag

·
Registered
523 Posts
the 302 is plenty. I used a 65 298 built to 350 hp 316 torque. Standard ele performer pkg. no emissions on 65 engine. My car is louder than my friends 460 crate eng. It is to loud if you realy get into it. Acturaly quite refined in 5th.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
Kind of a long $ jump between an '88 and a crate 351. My roadster had a 347 stroker and a healthy comp cams set up and it was always enough noise, car alarms, and torque for most. Probably totaled about the same cost as a crate but with the crate you are certainly not getting the performance products that were in my motor. Good luck, motors are personal preference. There's always one bigger, better, badder (sp?), etc.,etc. You don't see too many that care to compare time slips with Qwik1 (289)!! Build what you want. That's what's fun with these cars. It's all about personal preference.

·
Orbiting FFCobra.com
778 Posts
I would also guess that the 302 would get better gas mileage than the 351, if that's a concern of yours.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I've built both an aftermarket-crammed hi-po 302 engine, and a mild stroked/bored 351W. The 351W with aluminum heads weighed less than the iron-head 302, made more torque, used only a bit more fuel, and idled SOOO much better than the hi-po 302.
Build what you want to have...

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
To directly answer your question, the 88 will get better mileage and be rock solid dependable. It will idle very smooth and the car will still be a blast to drive.

I would take the donor motor and rebuild it as 331. Put aluminum heads on it and have the best of both worlds. Less weight, more cylinder filling, loads of torque and 400hp without much trouble.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts