Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,824 Posts
Fuel delivery or ignition switch would be the 2 thinks I would look at first.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
So many darn things it could be..Check for codes yet? Any "check engine" light hooked up?

Could be a faulty fuel pump or ECM relay kicking off, bad TPS, or idle control valve, coil, ignition module, etc, etc.. A code reading may be a good place to start..

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Times 2 what Gordon said.

Once it dies, turn everything off, hop out, remove the air cleaner if you have one then pull on the throttle and look to see if you are getting fuel squirting down the primaries each time you pull on the throttle. If not, then the fuel system is the most likely suspect. I'd pull the fuel line off the carburetor and hook up a hose to a gas can and see if there is any issue with fuel delivery.

If you get fuel when you pull the throttle then I would look at ignition issues...connections, timing, coil, etc.

I'm sure others will chime in with additional suggestions but this should give a starting point...

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Sounds like fuel to me. Pour a little gas down the carb and see if it refires. If it does try the following. Take the fuel line off between the carb and the fuel pump, attach a section of hose and see if you can pump some fuel into a catch can as you roll the motor over (remove coil wire). If the fuel flow is slow I'd suspect a clogged fuel filter assuming you have one between the pump and the carb, change this filter and try again. If you have a Holley carb some come with a sintered brass filter located where the fuel line attaches to the carb, you can disconnect the fuel lline and screw the fitting out to check these filters. A lot of guys who run Holley carbs with a good filter after the pump eliminate these.
Just an idea:
HTH
CB

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK here goes. ( : > (((((((( ) . Cked carb,OK, went to check timing and compression and soooooooooooo cylinder #1 has a hole in it. Might have to put off engine work until I save the $'s to get a rebuilt 302. Ohhhhhh well
s--t happens. As my son said you can take this time to work on the rest of the car.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,824 Posts
Are you running a blower? I would like to see that piston.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I baught my engine,a rebuilt 302 longblock ( 90 mustang ) from O'Reily auto parts for around eighteen hundred buck's with A three year warenty.
Usualy A holed piston is caused when A hot engine goes lean....been there.
Chaz...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.