Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
They are not required and for all practical purposes, you should stay away from them except for decorative (read: Faux cooler) purposes only. They can put added strain on your oil pump. If I had known prior to drilling holes in X-frame that I did not need an oil filter relocator with 4 into 4 headers, I would of scratched the relocator as well. Extra plumbing that is not needed in my opinion.

I will eventually install a faux cooler because it looks very cool. But it will never be connected to motor.

·
Junior Charter Member
280 Posts
Yes, an oil cooler is way cool and makes the car look closer to original. A cooler and associated -10 hoses will add approximately 2 quarts to your oil capacity. I agree that an oil cooler is not essential nor even highly recommended for street use but it just looks so "right". One thing to remember when running an oil cooler is to also run an oil thermostat to prevent oil flow through the cooler until proper oil temp is attained. If you have the room, Mocal makes a really nice "sandwich" style thermostat that bolts between the engine block and the oil filter and is 1" thick. It has 1/2 NPT female inlet and outlet ports for your AN -10 fittings. Use -10 stainless braided hose that is oil compatible. If there is insufficient block to frame clearance Mocal also makes an inline thermostat that works very nicely. FinishLine in Florida markets a complete oil cooler kit and a nifty oil cooler shroud if you don't want to scavenge components from all over the place. Another place to find what you need is a place called BAT at http://www.batinc.net/coolers.htm . I bought my sandwich style thermostat from them and it opens when the oil temp reaches 180*. I would not recommend running a functional oil cooler without an oil temp thermostat. Have fun.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
FFReak, I can't post a pic to the forum, but I have a pic I was going to email to you. However, your email address is not visible in your profile.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts