Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. Ok, i will try to figure something out. Regarding the cable shifter. Is there any advantages other than making room for the oil ports? Did anyone build one themself? Or is it Brandwood that everyone uses?

thanks
/Johan

·
Junior Charter Member
676 Posts
I can't speak to the one supplied with the kit since I never used it, but from what I understand from my research, the cable shift is a way smoother feel and also less complex, easier to install, and gives more flexibility for placement and routing options. My car has a brandwood and it is simple and easy to adjust, so I can say that I do like it and would recommend it.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
The FFR rod linkage is like shifting with a giant spring. There is a ton of lost motion between the shifter and trans. As a result, you lose all of your "feel" in the shift linkage. A cable shifter pretty much eliminates all of that lost motion so that you can feel what gear you're shifting into instead of hoping and guessing. There are a couple of options for shifters. One is what everyone refers to as the "Brandwood" shifter.

I've installed a ton of these and they work well. I have had a few customers who broke theirs. There is a small shoulder bolt that holds the pivot point of the shifter together, and that bolt seems to be the weak link and can break over time.

The other option is Numeric. This is a very high quality billet aluminum shifter. More expensive than the Brandwood, but seems pretty bullet-proof and much more rigid.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have a used G50 Brandwood shifter kit I can sell, it came off my car when I installed the G96.50 instead.
Shifter+cables.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a used G50 Brandwood shifter kit I can sell, it came off my car when I installed the G96.50 instead.
Shifter+cables.
Sounds great. How much are you asking? I have the G50-00 transaxle. Did you have the same?

I´m in the process of fabricating a offset oil cooler connection that clears the shift rod. But i can use that anyway.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sounds great. How much are you asking? I have the G50-00 transaxle. Did you have the same?

I´m in the process of fabricating a offset oil cooler connection that clears the shift rod. But i can use that anyway.

Thanks
Sorry mine is for the 6-speed G50 and it doesn't look the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts