Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car was running awesome. Drove it up and down the block several times never leaving 2nd. I put it in the garage for a couple days.

I went to go start it. It wanted to start but would not.

I checked the fuel pump, chokes, and inertia switch.

It stated. It backfired and I saw the filters light up. I let it idle for min or two and it back fired I guess more like popped several times. I shut it down

I tried to get it to go again. And it wanted to but would not. I left it.

Any ideas?

Edlebrock Dual Quad
Inline external fuel pump
SBF 347

Jason

·
Registered
62 Posts
Two things come to mind.... either timing is off or carbs are running too rich and fuel is getting into the exhaust. Check some of the spark plugs and see if they’re wet or black. I have never set dual carbs so I can’t help you there. Good luck.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Going deep here but what distributor gear did you use; steel, cast, bronze, composite?

I do not remeber off hand but this was considered in the build process. I had the guys from DSS Racing and Compcams sell me compatible parts.

Jason

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tech at Modern Muscle wrote today and said I most likely flooded it.

He said to hold hold the throttle open slightly to half way and crank it until the fuel is gone enough to start then let it run helping it untill it's back to baseline.

Jason

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FYI my 1st car at 16 was a Carb. I only had it for a short time. I am unfamiliar with carbs. im still learning. Dont assume I know the basics.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Your description is not for flooding. It indicates either timing or lean condition.
Make sure you have gas in the tank, cold engine press the gas pedal to the floor and let up. Engine should start. The only other SOP is holding the throttle slightly open on a cold engine.
Depending upon your carb linkage and choke set up, you may only need to press the pedal enough to open and set the choke on the primary carb.
Clearing a flooded carb, hold the throttle wide open and crank continously until it runs. Repeatably stopping and letting up on the throttle will flood the engine.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your description is not for flooding. It indicates either timing or lean condition.
Make sure you have gas in the tank, cold engine press the gas pedal to the floor and let up. Engine should start. The only other SOP is holding the throttle slightly open on a cold engine.
Depending upon your carb linkage and choke set up, you may only need to press the pedal enough to open and set the choke on the primary carb.
I was thinking this too. It was professionally based tuned and running awesome. So my fist thought is its me. I tried to explain it hopefully I did a good job at it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha I had the guy listen over the phone.

He said do you have gas? I said you gave me a full take. He said I put a couple gallons in. The gauge says full. He said the gauge is wrong probably wiring issue. Your out of gas. Lol.

It's the simple things. I have to go get some gas.

Jason

·
Registered
436 Posts
If your gauge is reading full on empty, and depending on your gauge set, you might be able to calibrate it for reverse reading.

·
Not a waxer
11,521 Posts
If you have the FFR/Speedhut gauges (I believe you do) the gauge and sender are compatible you just need to go through the calibration process for 16 Ohms empty/ 158 Ohms full.

Jeff

·
Registered
118 Posts
In addition to Jeff's comments, it may be that the fuel sender is unplugged or open circuit. If this is the case then the gauge will read full-scale.

Get in touch if you need some help with fault finding.

Cheers, Nigel in South Oz

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In addition to Jeff's comments, it may be that the fuel sender is unplugged or open circuit. If this is the case then the gauge will read full-scale.

Get in touch if you need some help with fault finding.

Cheers, Nigel in South Oz
I will take you up on that forsure. Thank you!

·
Junior Charter Member
2,845 Posts
I'm glad you got it figured out!

They like gas.....and LOTS of it. My first go-kart ended after 30ft where I ran out of gas.

·
Not a waxer
11,521 Posts
Just add gas and magic it works. Lol

The gauge is forsure backwards. I will work on it.
You got a complete kit..the sender and gauge are compatible...just calibrate it using the procedure that was outlined in the gauge instructions...it will take all of 30 seconds...and just like magic it too will work.

Jeff

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm glad you got it figured out!

They like gas.....and LOTS of it. My first go-kart ended after 30ft where I ran out of gas.
That's funny!!

I'm a idiot. But the gauge did say full. It runs even better with a 1/4 tank then it did with a little bit of gas. Smooth.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts