Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that my pipes are a bit kittywampus. The passenger side is a little low and driver side a little high. I know this because i am trying to install the side pipe brackets and the driver side sort of wants to go through the floorboard. One suggestion i have seen here is to use smaller bolts to create more slop and then adjust the bracket to fit. Not a bad solution. It occurs to me that i could shim the passenger side engine mount and level the overall engine. That would naturally lower the drivers side pipes and raise the passenger side. I believe that an 1/8 or 3/16 shim would do the trick. It is not too bad its just difficult to install the drivers side bracket. The bracket is also rubbing on the fiberglass body. Is that a reasonable solution. It seems all i have to do is loosen the tranny and engine mounts, jack up the engine a bit and insert a shim....Does this seem like a reasonable solution. ??
I appreciate any helpful suggestions

Sam

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If it is that close to fitting, you might be able to get there without shims. Loosen the motor mounts and try tilting the engine toward the drivers side.

Good Luck
Norm

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
"Kittywampus"??? :)

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
WHOOPSADAISY ! the "kittywampus" is on the loose>:) Just bustin your chops brother....Yeah, loosen the motor mounts and do the wiggly jiggly on the sidepipes and see if you can get a little..........movement out of rocking the engine.

·
8,356 Posts
"Kittywampus"??? :)
Spot On: cattywampus. catty·wam·pus. adjective. The definition of cattywampus, often spelled catawampus, is not lined up or not arranged correctly, or diagonally.:)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Spot On: cattywampus. catty·wam·pus. adjective. The definition of cattywampus, often spelled catawampus, is not lined up or not arranged correctly, or diagonally.:)
Learn a new thing every day.

WHOOPSADAISY - now that I know. One of my Dad's favourite sayings.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I used a die grinder to lengthen the locating pin slots on the engine mount. 2 or 3 degrees of rotation made the pipes level side to side. I also used a wedge from Breeze to straighten the pipes front to back (my DS side pipe angled away from the body front to back) Using both techniques allowed me to have a "perfect" fit for the pipes.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I was able to get the drivers side pipe where i wanted by rotating the engine. Passenger side j-pipe had to undergo surgery (length and angle)...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cattywampus implies a big problem...kittywampus is a little problem......or maybe i never got the word right in the first place...

·
Baghdad Bob
866 Posts
If the engine is too high, as in the header 4 pipe seems about 1" to 1 1/2" too high, at the body cutout, can a narrower shim help. This is my first attempt with a new engine and a new frame, not sure how much adjustment I can get with the engine mounts.

·
Baghdad Bob
866 Posts
If the engine is high, as in the header 4 pipe seems about 1" to 1 1/2" too high, can a narrower shim help. This is my first attempt with a new engine and a new frame, not sure how much adjustment I can get with the engine mounts.

·
Registered
Mk4 FR347 TKO600 Moser 3:31 350RWHP 350RWHP NT01s GasN Pipes Corbeau seats Celina Custom Auto paint
447 Posts
Cattywampus not withstanding...

I had a similar problem that I eventually resolved by getting the PS header plate milled to made it point to the right location through the body cut-out. It only cost me about $50, and it made everything just right, without having to compromise either side-pipe exit through the body. To find the right angle I used temporary shims between the top of the header flange and the head and then converted that measurement to an angle for milling. Your angle will certainly be different than mine, but there should be plenty of meat on the header flange to accomplish the job.

Good luck :smile2:

Attachments

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
I had a similar problem that I eventually resolved by getting the PS header plate milled to made it point to the right location through the body cut-out. It only cost me about $50, and it made everything just right, without having to compromise either side-pipe exit through the body. To find the right angle I used temporary shims between the top of the header flange and the head and then converted that measurement to an angle for milling. Your angle will certainly be different than mine, but there should be plenty of meat on the header flange to accomplish the job.

Good luck :smile2:
The only problem here is that if you ever upgrade your cylinder heads or change the motor all together (lets face it, these cars are never done), then you might be needing new headers too. Would be cool if someone made header flanges that were angled just a bit..then you can use some RTV on both ends and bolt that between the engine & header.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used a die grinder to lengthen the locating pin slots on the engine mount. 2 or 3 degrees of rotation made the pipes level side to side. I also used a wedge from Breeze to straighten the pipes front to back (my DS side pipe angled away from the body front to back) Using both techniques allowed me to have a "perfect" fit for the pipes.
Hi,
I came across your post and thought I would ask you whether you widened the slot because the engine sat skew. Mine looks like it runs a bit from the left to the right because I had to move the Transmission to line up with the centre section. This is causing a twisting action on the motor mounts. Also, the right hand side j-pipe is hard against the chassis. I can leave it like that as it will run through in no time. I thought of shimming it to lift the right hand side. Do you have and suggestions/comments on these changes?

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
I might be wrong, so confirm with one of our pro-builders, but I don't think your transmission output needs to be aligned with your rear end pinion. As long as the angles are correct, I think you'd be fine.

The angles in this picture aren't right for our cars, but it give a visual that seems to show that things can be offset a bit.

Top is the side view
Bottom is the overhead view

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,024 Posts
I might be wrong, so confirm with one of our pro-builders, but I don't think your transmission output needs to be aligned with your rear end pinion. As long as the angles are correct, I think you'd be fine.

The angles in this picture aren't right for our cars, but it give a visual that seems to show that things can be offset a bit.

Top is the side view
Bottom is the overhead view
I agree. Everything I read says offset is fine as long as bother shafts are parallel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts