Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm going to try to drop in the engine and tranny using a friends engine hoist next week.

Do I need a lift plate for my 351w?
If not, how do I attach it to the engine hoist?
If so where do I get a lift plate?
Is there a better way?
Anything else I need to look out for?

Thanks,

Steve

·
FFCobra Fanatic
430 Posts
Steve,

I had GREAT success with the engine leveller. I didn't use an intake plate. The leveller attaches to the front and rear of the heads. I also had the car about 12 inches off the ground. That allows you to put the engine at a greater angle to clear the radiator, etc. Good luck!

Jim

·
Junior Charter Member
711 Posts
Steve
I used a lift plate from Checker Auto parts about $10 worked great. Lifted the enging and trans as a unit rolled the car into place under it after raising the front suspension to about 6 or 7 inches. This allows the engine hoist to clear the cars chassis.
Two of us put it in in about 20 minutes. A few weeks later I was able to remove the engine/trans by myself in about the same time using the same technique. HTH
mannyjoe

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
I'm with Jim. The engine leveler is the best way to go. They are not that expensive at places like Harbor Freight, and they are worth every penny. I installed engine/trans by myself and it took less than an hour to slowly manouver it in to place. I've installed a lot of engines in a lot of cars over the years. This is just about the best thing to come along in quite a while.

The trick is take your time, move slowly, and walk around the car a lot. The FFR chassis is just about the easiest install I've ever done.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,508 Posts
The engine leveler makes the job easy. I couldn't roll the car under the engine because the "feet" of my lift were wider than the inside of my tires. I had to jack the car up and put it on jackstands to clear. Make sure you test fit your headers before dropping the engine in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts