Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a 351w to put in my MkIV and now I am trying to figure out which engine hoist to get. I'm sure I could borrow one from a friend, but I figured I would be installing and removing the engine and transmission multiple times so I think I'll buy one. I am thinking about getting one from Harbor Freight and was wondering if I should get a 2 ton or a 1 ton hoist. I'm not really sure how far the boom usually gets extended to be able to clear the engine and tranny over the frame. Any advice would be great.

·
ff cobra master craftsman
2,784 Posts
If you are installing the engine with the body on most hoists do not have a long enough reach and you will have to install the engine from the side. I purchased a harbor freight 2 ton hoist that has adjustable legs at the front and sides with a longer boom this worked from the front with the body on.

I am not sure if they still sell that model, now a days pepboys , autozone , advanced auto parts also sell hoists.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've been very happy with my Northern Tool 1-ton engine hoist, but I'm usually working on engines and transmissions weighing about 1/2 to 3/4 the weight of what you'll probably be dealing with. I am always using mine at full extension (500 lbs/ rating).

engine hoist from Northern Tool + Equipment

I much prefer Northern Tool's engine stand over Harbor Freight's options and tend to put NT a half-step above HF in quality and a full step up in value.

·
Junior Charter Member
325 Posts
In the future

Get the 2 ton. If you ever decide to pull the engine with the body on, it can be done from the side with a 2 ton barely! If the 1 ton is shorter in boom length I don't think it will reach. Also they are rated at 2 ton with the boom all the way in. As you extend the boom the lift rating goes down.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a relatively new HF lift, the 1 ton version, and I would say that its marginal. When you extend the beam the rating drops to 500lbs. The beam is too short to make dropping the engine in anything other than a drop/scootch operation. The valve also leaks so unless you get that sucker really tight the engine will start to slowly drop. Otherwise I love it. ;/ If I have to do any more engine pulling I'm going to buy a good one.

·
Charter Member
1,774 Posts
engine lift

I have a two ton lifter that I extended the arm and added counterweight (120 lbs of lead) so we could pull / install the motor / trannie from the front with out getting to close to the paint on the car.

The longer the arm to less weight it should pick up. I would think the engineer would rate mine at 200 lbs but we have used it for eight years and moved 50 or so motors in and out of Cobras.
Never failed.
So far.

I have replaced the pump once just in case the old one was getting weak.

Dwight

engine leveler is a must have tool

·
Premium Member
18,252 Posts
About 25 years ago I bought a 2 ton hoist from HF. I'v lost count how many times I'v R&R'ed an engine with it. And I'v found other uses for it here and there.

The fold up kind look pretty handy. But only if you store the hoist in your work area. I take mine apart and store it in the basement between uses.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a two ton lifter that I extended the arm and added counterweight (120 lbs of lead) so we could pull / install the motor / trannie from the front with out getting to close to the paint on the car.

The longer the arm to less weight it should pick up. I would think the engineer would rate mine at 200 lbs but we have used it for eight years and moved 50 or so motors in and out of Cobras.
Never failed.
So far.

I have replaced the pump once just in case the old one was getting weak.

Dwight

engine leveler is a must have tool
It only takes once. For the amount you use it you should invest in a pro-quality lift. Please be safe and inspect the hell out of it if you insist on using it.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Cheap out the 2 ton lift but get a quality leveler. Thats where you get your money back. I have a cheap azz leveler and its like cranking a zombie's neck. Hard as heck, its always fighting you, and you dread the whole experience. A nice one with bearings and greaseability is worth it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hey Fred,

I brought this Big Red 2 ton hoist and engine leveler from PetBoy's on sale. I literally just put the engine for the first time last night. I am sure it will be in an out a few more times. Worked great and the legs fold up when not in use. I did not use the leveler just a lift plate and Jessie lifted the tranny tail at the right time.

Definitely a 2 person job. Send some pics of our progress

Big Red 2 Ton Folding Engine Hoist | Product Details | Pep Boys

·
Premium Member
11,847 Posts
Borrow one, if you do it right you will only put the engine in once. They take up a lot of real estate even folded up.

If you get one, get one with the leg wheels IN the legs not under and not on casters. We wheel the car under the hoist and it works better than moving the hoist to the car. JMHO, YMMV, Richard.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the info. I will go with a 2 ton hoist and look for a leveler as well. Although I was planning on doing it the way Sal did. That was the way they showed us in class too.

Richard, I never thought of wheeling the car under the jack. That is a great idea. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
1 ton works fine, I change engines each season and never an issue with the $99 1 ton crane from HF, works and it's cheap. Unless you use this more that a couple times of year don't overthink it or spend a lot of money, as there are other things you can splurge on

·
Registered
2,382 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,774 Posts
yes every time we use the hoist we check it. Drop a motor on a paint job would cost thousands to repair.

Dwight

I did use it to lift the lathe/mill off our trailer. Better than our backs!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.