Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These questions relate to use of the engine hoist and load leveler...

Are those lift plates that attach to the intake manifold safe to use with 351W engines and aluminum intakes?

When used with a load leveler and engine hoist, do they provide sufficient ability to tilt and control the engine/tranny combo for easy installation?

Sherrell

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are truly a wealth of info tonight.
Thanks, Sergio.
Sherrell

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I have used a lift plate many times in the past. As long as its snugged down well, it's plenty safe. I think Mustangs and Fords did an article a few months back to find out where it breaks...way more than a 351W weighs.

I am not sure how well it would work with a load leveler. That is assuming you are talking about one that allows you to tilt the engine using a crank. The levelers I have seen tie into the engine on 4 corners.

Anyway, when I install my engine in a couple of weeks, I am going to use the tilter and leave the plate in the toolbox. I just like the control.

Cheers,

Rick

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
no problem Sherrell,

You can also use heavy Duty straps to install, (or remove) any engine, tilting is just a matter of adjusting the straps (while engine is stable on the ground):

Big 2003 Cobra Supercharged engine going into SuperCobra

and using the same straps, installing another 2003 GT SOHC 4.6 engine into my Project Double Displacement (4.6 into a 2.3 4 Cyl. 87 Mustang)

;)

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I asked is that I'm concerned the close spacing of the leveler chain connection points on the lift plate would prevent one from being able to tilt the motor/tranny combo to the desired "down angel"...

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
If you don't use a leveler and hook up the hoist hook straight to the lift plate it can also be tilted by:

first: raising the FFR frame from the rear the most you can and lowering it on the front (and still allow the hoist's legs to go underneath).

and second: having 2 other guys to tilt the engine/tranny, getting it into the frame and then one of the guys can grab onto the tranny and pull up (while you slowly lower it) until it is leveled and ready to mount.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,314 Posts
We did P_Matt's 351 a couple months ago with a lift plate and no problems. I wondered the same thing, I had never seen anybody pull an engine like that, but they work great.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Whenever I use the leveler,I always used the front and rear of the engine for my chain mounts.
Usually the front and rear of the heads have holes that can be used. Levelers are nice in that it lets you install or remove by yourself since another person is not needed to tilt the assembly for clearence. Also keeps you from needing to resling if motors not hanging at the right angle.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
4,241 Posts
I would not trust a lift plate to lift the whole engine tranny combo... Thats heavy.... The intake is only aluminum... Personal decision but i would do it. Find two attachments on the front and rear of the heads! BE SAFE

·
Senior Charter Member
658 Posts
I pulled my engine out last weekend. I used a load leveler for this first time and I will never pull an engine without one again.

I put the engine into the bare frame with no load leveler and it was a painful process of pushing and tilting and levering things to the correct angle to put it in. I pulled it out with the painted body on and the load leveler and it was a breeze. The transmission was attached both times.

I used 4 attachment points and used the holes on the front and back of the heads. It gave the leveler plenty of leverage to easily tilt the whole assembly up and down.

- Jesse

·
Cone Killer
1,781 Posts
That was a great article on lift plates. FWIW I have an engine leveler also and would probably use it for an engine removel or install on the completed car, but at the frame only stage of the build it was no more difficult than putting the engine on a test stand. The lift plate was a piece of cake. Whatever you feel most comfortable with but I think that the article above sets the record straight on safety.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I have a tilter that I got as a gift 20 years ago. Tried it once and got in the way more than it did any good. Been using Hoist w/lift plate and floor jack since.

[ March 01, 2007, 06:16 PM: Message edited by: convincor ]

·
Junior Charter Member
141 Posts
I had a similar concern about using the plate. For my install I skipped the plate and bolted the 4 chains from the engine leveler to the 4 carb bolt holes in the aluminum manifold. Worked fine without issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts