Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I have been wrenching on my 289 in my 66 coupe. I have two questions. When the shop redid my wiring they also did the initial fire since it is not the stock motor (stock replacement though). The shop said they had to get some water out of the back two cylinders. I pooped off the intake this am to replace the gasket since it was leaking and found some rust, not sure if this is okay, or what I can clean it with.

Second, inside the thermostat housing I found corrosion, I scraped some of this off then thought to take a picture after I opened the intake. Again not sure if I should just replace the housing too. Please let me know what you guys think. This engine was rebuilt, not professionally (not by me either) around 25k or so ago and came out of a daily driver. The motor was running real strong with the exception of leaking around the intake gasket.

Here are the best pics I could get on the fly of the crap inside the thermostat housing...

Here is the bottom of the intake manifold...

And here is the top of the block...

Any help you can give, the sooner the better, as this is my daily driver for the moment. Since the real one blew a head gasket. (bad week for gaskets at my garage)

[ October 02, 2007, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: lapp172 ]

·
6,559 Posts
Looks like it's time to refresh the bottom end of the engine. Then have the heads rebuilt and new intake. You've had a good amount of water/coolant in the oil and it's found it's way throughout the internals. Was this sitting for some time?

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it was sitting for about a year. Thanks for the quick reply I am looking for a little quicker fix than that though, since I will be getting rid of the car in the spring. Don't get me wrong I am not trying to slap something together to pass off to someone else, I just need this back on the road today.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
I have a feeling some of that coolant is from pulling the intake off the engine...

There's always going to be a small amount of corrosion in iron blocks and heads, and of course this is an iron intake as well...

Unless the corrosion has made a passage dangerously thin the rust in the cooling passages/ports isn't life threatening. Yes it should be hot tanked, cleaned, etc. but for a driver (and it sounds like you need one ASAP) I would simply remove any major scale by hand and reassemble with new gaskets.

My main concern would be the thermostat housing, as that is some thin material. You should be able to pick up a typical Ford 45-degree stat housing at any parts store (NAPA, etc.). I would replace that...

Good luck!

HTH...
Mark

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark,

Thanks a lot. I did just that, with the exception of replacing the thermo housing. I am waiting on a buddy to come over and take me to the auto parts store (I feel lame just typing that). But I need to get the gasket for the waterpump housing to the block, and a new tranny oil cooler line adapter as I snapped the old one taking it off. I feel much better about having buttoned the intake back up though. Thanks again.

Judd

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Agree with Mark that its probally just spilled coolant from disassembly. Since you said it was running fine a head gasket problem would have been known while it was running. For the couple bucks throw a new stat and housing on it.

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
If you don't have the intake back on yet, take some paper towels and soak up the coolant laying in the valley. It's not much, but it'll be easy to get rid of.

·
6,559 Posts
I was basing my recommendation by the details and pics you provided. The corrosion in the intake paths of the manifold and head indicate there has been coolant leaking in there for some time. That, along with he comment about having to remove the coolant from the two rear cylinders, might indicate that this is more than just disassembly spill. I'd at least drop the pan and inspect the crank bearings but do what you wish. Also, why is there oil in the head cavity next to the intake runner?

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The water in the back two cylinders was from not being carefully when the motor was degreased during the engine swap. Thank you for the advice, it is appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts