Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
It is that time for me to get a dolly for the engine and tranny from a 5.0 mustang. Do people build these things from wood or is a metal contraption required. I will only need this thing once so i don't want to go overboard. I like working with wood but if it won't hold i don't want to risk it. You guys are an ingenious bunch, ideas?

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Here's what you want...from Jeg's. It'll hold the engine with tranny mounted. I added wheels. Very convenient.

Only $35. Hardly worth the effort to make your own.

[ August 01, 2002, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: oldguy668 ]

·
Premium Member
18,103 Posts
I've built them out of wood before, but havn't had one in a few years. Now I just leave them on the stand until I'm ready to install them.

Make a flat platform out of 2x4's and 1/2" plywood. It should be about 12" wider than the oil pan rails. Attach a caster to each corner. Then cut pices of 1/2" plywood to the same length as the straight portions of the frame rails (right-front, left-rear). Make sure they are taller than your oil pan. Attach these perpendicular to the platform, so they match the pan rails. Use triangular braces on the outside of the uprights for lateral support. Now you can set the engine on these uprights, resting on the oil pan rails.

Of course, this only works with the stock width pan.

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
I saw a really really cool one that had to be used with the tranny but it only mounted to the engine mount points and balanced the whole contraption on a wide base. It was around 200 though and I don;t remember where it was from. BTW, Oldguy, I don't believe the kind you showed can be used with a tranny because the bellhousing cannot even be mounted when the rear legs are mounted to the engine. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
That's the same one I used, and it certainly can be used with or without the trans in place. I had my engine/tranny assembly on the stand (on wheels) for 2 months, and I installed all my accessories like pulleys andd fuel pump, wires, etc. while it was on the stand. The only piece that can't be installed is the starter.

·
Senior Charter Member
226 Posts
I made this one from some scrap 4 X 4s and 2 x 4s I had plus some castors from the local flea market...

Worked well enough to allow me to move the engine around the garage and also clean it up and paint it.

Barry

·
Senior Charter Member
564 Posts
I mounted some casters on the side of the old donor oil pan. Just be sure they clear the tranny. I used it as a support in conjuction with my engine hoist.

-Perry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.