Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have some pics of a lid or hinged flap to dress up access point to foot box on top side in engine compartment

·
Registered
548 Posts
I think one of the problems with this idea is that the body covers some of the access hole that would limit your ability to hinge anything here.

·
Registered
560 Posts
This is the only pic I have of my foot box lid. The body does cover part of the lid which is why I used only 3 rivnuts to secure it. I also used some bathroom shower pan vinyl sheeting to make a gasket to help seal the lid and foot box top panel. I used 3M 90 spray glue to attach the gasket to the lid.
JR

Attachments

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,546 Posts
If you make a lid that is say 1/2 inch larger than the opening all around. Along that top edge cut a piece of aluminum that is 1/2 inch wide and another one that is 1 inch wide. Rivet these together so you can slide the top of your cover onto the panel and it will stay in position. Sorry for the crude drawing
20200228_143643 by craig stuard, on Flickr
Then you can put a few screws, rivets, nutserts on the other edges where you will have access to them.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,909 Posts
I made one similar to what FFR does now. Basically as big as wold fit. I made a gasket out of standard cork / buna-n gasket material. I have a lot of button head screws at the same spacing as all of the rivets. That servers two purposes. 1. Aesthetics - so it matches the rivet layout everywhere else. It's not like you have to take it off very often.
2. THE IMPORTANT ONE - To keep firewall integrity.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I also added one in the side. That way you can get one hand in each hole. I've been in there a couple time and it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts