Factory Five Racing Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
Now you need to calculate your effective cylinder pressure, and your dynamic compression. This is very important. Cylinder pressure is what makes power. Not enough, and it will be a dog. Too much, and it will beat itself to death. Been there, done that!

Around 8 for dynamic compression works out really well. You'll need to be carefull on your tune, and keep total timing rather conservative. People seem to want to run a lot of total timing. But dyno testing on my engine shows it makes more power with a little more timing down low, and a little less up high. I only run 33* total on race fuel, and 31* total on pump gas. I also run a light spring so the timing comes in quick.

to calculate your numbers, I'v found this one to be about the easiest to use: United Engine & Machine Co. Incorporated

BUT.... this one does not take in to account altitude. So if you live above about 1,200-1,500' ASL, use one that compensates for altitude.

Wallace Racing: Dynamic Compression Ratio Calculator

·
Super Moderator
29,619 Posts
Bob-
Great information. I calculated my static and dynamic compressions. They are 11.5 and 9.6. Am I going to have problems?

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
Yes, you are definatly going to have problems. That's way too much cylinder pressure for pump gas street driving.

The easiest change would be a bigger cam with alater closing point. Run the calculater again with in intake closing point of 75* or so, and see what you get.

The down side of that is the carb. Lots of compression and a huge cam can be difficult to drive on the street. A multi point EFI will make it easy to drive on the street, but a carb needs a good vacuum signal and a wet manifold needs good intake charge velocity to keep the fuel in suspension.

It might end up better in the long run to use a dished piston.

·
Super Moderator
29,619 Posts
[deleted - moved to separate thread]

·
Senior Charter Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I punched in my numbers and assuming my deck height is 0.035 (waiting to hear from the machine shop), I have a static compression ratio of 9.51 and a dynamic compression ratio of 8.58. That seems just out of your suggested range. Now I am just waiting on the machine shop to let me what the deck height will be.

Thanks for your help Bob.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
I have run my numbers and I am ending up with SCR at 10.175 and DCR 8.712. How bad is a dynamic compression ratio of 8.712?
That has the potential of being a big problem. You'll need to run the mixture a bit rich, keep timing conservative, and don't beat on it too hard on pump gas. As the rpm's rise, so will cylinder pressures. That has a high likelyhood of beating the ring lands to death.

If you're going to run it hard - like autocross, road course, or drag strip - then use a high octane race fuel.

You could consider using a "bigger" cam, with more duration and a later intake valve closing point. That will keep the cylinder pressures lower at lower rpm's, and raise them at highr rpm's.

I plan on using Ethanol this year, mostly on the track but occasionally on the street. But I have EFI, and changing the fuel map is as easy and flipping a switch. With a carb, you'de have to rejet for ethanol.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for your help. Seeing how my cam was stolen:mad: before I even got my block back from the machine shop, using a different cam will not be a hard thing to do.

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
I am leaning towards the twisted wedge heads and flat top pistons with reliefs for the twisted wedge heads. It seems the compression ratio is about 10.15:1 or 10.2:1. Will this setup be compatible with pump gas? Will I need to run 93?
I ran that setup in mine for several years and even supercharged it. Ran 91-93 in it all the time. No issue at all....that is until my FMU failed and killed a piston, block and TFS cam.

The complete TFS street heat set up with TFS 1 cam and intake was/is a nice setup and made exactly the HP/TQ it said it would. SOunded great too.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Since my cam was stolen and now I have to purchase a new cam, I went with a custom cam from Flowtech Industries. With his custom cam my new dynamic compression ratio is now 8.45... Thanks for your help.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
HV/SP Oil Pump or SV/SP Oil Pump?

Like I said earlier this car will mainly be a cruiser but I do plan to autocross some and depending on how much I like it... I do have the Levy Racing fully baffled road race pan and I am looking at ordering a high volume / standard pressure oil pump. Is there any reason to not get the high volume standard pressure oil pump?

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
There's a lot of controversy about that. I did a lot of reading and research. Some pro builders will only use a HV pump, and some will never use one. A SBF never needs a high pressure pump.

From what I can find out, if you have external oiling components like remote filters and coolers, then use a HV pump. If not, use a standard volume/standard pressure pump.

Only use a Ford or Melling pump.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I do not revive an old thread very often but I thought this would be worth it. Going on 6 years on the road with this engine and it has been a hoot! I love my little 347. Thanks to everyone that contributed to my parts selection, especially @Bob Cowan.

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
You are more than welcome. :)

21 - 34 of 34 Posts