Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car will be more of a street cruiser but I would like to autocross some. I plan to set my rev limiter right at 6000 rpms. I have an aluminum flywheel with a Spec Stage 2 aluminum clutch kit. I am looking for a fast revving 347 based on the SBF 302 that will run on pump gas, preferably 91 octane but I am flexible to 93. Looking at purchasing my rotating assembly and heads at the same time. I plan to have the cam custom ground so ... Is one of these combinations better than the other?

Twisted Wedge - Track heat 190 and Probe Industries Rotating Assembly

or

Dart Pro 1 and Scat rotating assembly

I have an Edlebrock Perform RPM intake, 3.73 rear gears and a TKO 500 transmission already.

I plan to purchase the parts from the same place if possible so don't pay attention to the location necessarily. Would there be a better combination?

·
Senior Charter Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, I must be on a few blocked lists. When asking for help spending money, usually there are a bunch of suggestions. What about the balancer, is it worth the extra to get the SFI balancer or is it a waste of money in my case, where I plan to keep it below 6,000 rpms?

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,842 Posts
take a look at some of my rotating assy's and top end kit's on my website. You will find prices that are hard to beat.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am now looking at the Twisted Wedge heads a little more closely. These are the differences between the 185s and the track heat 190s. Is one better than the other? I am planning on buying assembled heads and installing them as is.

TFS-51400004-C01
Twisted wedge 185 - $1,800 pair
65cc
CNC machined Exhaust and intake runners
With heat crossover
With Carb number D-369-12
Designed for hydralic roller camshafts
3/8-24 rocker arm nut thread size
Manganese bronze valve guide material

TFS-51400015
Twisted WEdge 190 track heat $1,500 pair
64Crunners not CNC machined
No heat crossover
No Carb number
No note about Hydraulic roller camshafts
7/16-20 rocker arm nut size
Bronze valve guide material

Can some one give me a little help here?
1. Are the CNC machined runners the difference in price, roughly $300?
2.What is the heat crossover? is that the tube in back of the engine that went from one head to the other? What is the purpose of that?
3. I plan to run a hydraulic roller cam but the heat track 190s don't necessarily say they are compatible. Is there some reason you cannot run a hydraulic roller cam with those heads?
4. Bronze valve guides vs. Manganese valve guides. Is one necessarrily better than the other?
5. Are the 185s $300 better than the 190s?

·
14,842 Posts
The TFS heads are very good and the 190 runner would work better, The drawbacks are they are pricey and I beleive there is better for the money. You will also need a specific piston with the valve reliefs in the correct location for the rotated valve design of the heads. You will also need custom length push rods.

·
We know what you're up to
4,700 Posts
Well, I am no expert so take this for what it is worth...

CNC'd ports - All things being equal they will have much higher air flow velocities than cast ports of the same size. Worth the extra $300 in my opinion. I would much rather increase volume and velocity by smoothing the air flow, than go to a larger port size where you increase volume and decrease velocity. Like Gordon said, twisted heads may required twisted pistons depending on valve clearances.

Heat Crossover - Don't know much. I thought it had something to do with EGR valves.

Hydraulic Roller Cams - Has nothing to do with the heads as far as I know other than hydro cams use less spring pressures than mechanical cams. Has more to do with your block, lifters, cam, and dizzy gear.

Studs - Bigger the better. Go with 7/16"

Valve Guides - Not sure what the difference is between them. Didn't think it was that big of a deal to really matter.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
984 Posts
Aaron:
A big thumbs up for Gordon. I got his forged 347 rotating assembly and he also had a cam ground for me ... fwiw ... The engine builder was impressed.

He will get it right for you the first time!

Greg

·
FFCobra Fanatic
7,022 Posts
This is my new set up, I like the Trick flow stuff.
I have track heat heads, stage 1 cam, Track heat uppper and lower intake.

Scat H beam rods

Probe -4.4 pistons

Eagle 4340 Forged Crank

·
Senior Charter Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am leaning towards the twisted wedge heads and flat top pistons with reliefs for the twisted wedge heads. It seems the compression ratio is about 10.15:1 or 10.2:1. Will this setup be compatible with pump gas? Will I need to run 93?

·
Super Moderator
29,619 Posts
91 will work fine with that C/R

·
Senior Charter Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have track heat heads, stage 1 cam, Track heat uppper and lower intake.
Was there a particular reason you went with the stage 1 cam over the stage 2? I am looking at the stage 2 myself.

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
The TFS heads are very good and the 190 runner would work better, The drawbacks are they are pricey and I beleive there is better for the money.
Such as? You know what I have, anything better?

I am leaning towards the twisted wedge heads and flat top pistons with reliefs for the twisted wedge heads. It seems the compression ratio is about 10.15:1 or 10.2:1. Will this setup be compatible with pump gas? Will I need to run 93?
Probably. Depends on the cam you use and a couple of other facters. Keep Dynamic Compression between 8.0 and 8.5 and you'll build a great engine.
http://www.kb-silvolite.com/calc.php?action=comp

·
14,842 Posts
Your package seems to work really well. I don't know if I can make much of an improvement with the EFI system you currently have. I research it a little.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your package seems to work really well. I don't know if I can make much of an improvement with the EFI system you currently have. I research it a little.
I think you have me confused with Cobra302. I am going to run a carb'd setup. I posted this in the "How much hp" thread in the Small Block Tech section yesterday.

Ford 302 bored/stroked to 347 ci.
Rev limiter set at 6,000 rpms
Holley 650 Double pumper - 4150
Edlebrock Performer RPM Intake
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Heads - Track Heat 190 - TFS-51400015
Trick Flow Stage 2 cam - TFS-51402001
Stock OEM block bored 0.030 over
Cast steel crank
Forged connecting rods
Flat top Twisted Wedge compatible forged pistons
Fidanza aluminum flywheel
Spec Stage II Aluminum clutch assembly
TKO 500 Transmission (0.68 OD)
3.73 rear gears
295/50 R15 rear tires

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
Yeah, I know my EFI system limit power production. But it looks so danged cool! I'm thinking there really just isn't any more power to be found until I go with a central throttle body and a big plenum. Or more displacement.

·
14,842 Posts
Aaron, I was talking to Bob.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Probably. Depends on the cam you use and a couple of other facters. Keep Dynamic Compression between 8.0 and 8.5 and you'll build a great engine.
United Engine & Machine Co. Incorporated
OK from what I have gathered from my parts list and the link you provided:

cylinder head volume: 64cc (TFS 51400015)
Piston head volume I am not sure about? Probe 12348-030 is the number for the piston. Is this number +4 or -4?
Gasket Thickness: 0.039 (Fel Pro 1011-2)
Gasket bore: 4.1 (Fel Pro 1011-2)
Cylinder bore: 4.030 (30 thousandths over)
Deck Clearance: ????? I have no idea? help!
Stroke: 3.4"
Rod Length: 5.4 (long rod stroker kit)
Intake Closing Point (degrees)ABDC @ 0.050 lift plus 15 degrees: (TFS TFS-51402001) - ABC for 0.050 lift is 40, add 15 as noted would 55. Does 55 sound correct?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts