Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided not to go with the engine I posted up here a week ago and I've decided to keep the one I have now. It's a rebuilt stock 302 from my 88GT donor and I want to get about 375 hp out of it, naturally aspirated with a carb. Am I dreaming or do I actually have a chance at this without spending too much cash? What kind of gains can I expect from a cam, heads, intake and carb for a street driven car. I need reliability but I also want to have some fun with it. As you can probably see, I'm not a real engine expert so any and all help will be appreciated. I have a couple thousand to spend on the engine components and I also have a fellow interested in trading some parts for some goodies I have that he wants. (He runs a performance shop). I know I can get his input but I would like to have the input from a 3rd, 4th, 5th.... party to help me decide. Thanks for your help guys,

Mike

Delivery in 1 month woohoo!!!

·
The Never-Ending Builder
5,329 Posts
Mike,

374 HP will cost you about $3,500-5,000 USD if you can do it your self. You'll need good heads, AFR, Edelbrock, or the new Ford "Z" ones, etc. Cam change, with the appropriate new timing chain and gears. A definite induction change, new manifold and/or carb, Holley, Demon, or upper end Fuel Injection such as the Mass-Flow. Better pistons, and all the necessary machine work. A good crate motor would be a more cost effective option, and they come with warranties these days.

Hank

·
USAF Lifer (Retired)
1,221 Posts
Originally posted by Hankl:
Mike,

374 HP will cost you about $3,500-5,000 USD if you can do it your self. You'll need good heads, AFR, Edelbrock, or the new Ford "Z" ones, etc. Cam change, with the appropriate new timing chain and gears. A definite induction change, new manifold and/or carb, Holley, Demon, or upper end Fuel Injection such as the Mass-Flow. Better pistons, and all the necessary machine work. A good crate motor would be a more cost effective option, and they come with warranties these days.

Hank
Why not just buy this and save the time? 351W

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm with Hank and Tim. Before I started my build I penciled out the cost of building my own and you just don't save anything. Buy a nice crate and be done with it. (I wouldn't do eBay, however.)

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Have a compression test done on your block to see if it is usable. If the short block is ok you could buy a good set of heads, carb/ manifold, as well as cam/lifters/pushrods that you could use for now and when your current motor gives up reuse these on a new shortblock.
Might fit your budget if you could do some of the assembly yourself.
HTH
CB

1 - 5 of 5 Posts