Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a crate 302 from breeze. I now have lots of parts to bolt on. I don't know a great deal about this stuff....any advice would be helpful. First I was going to instal the upper intake - do I just bolt it on over the gasket? Thanks
Tips appreciated

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Silly question, but do you have a manual to help you along? If not, that should be your first step. And no, you need RTV on both sides of the gasket. Also put anti-seize on the bolt threads.

Cheers

Mike

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,708 Posts
I would go to a book store and get something like 'how to rebuild/hop up a ford 302'.Or maybe buy 2 books and read both.There are a bunch of little tricks that you should be aware of before rather than after.Doing it on the engine stand is so much easier than re-doing in the car.

·
Charter Member
870 Posts
Go with the chiltons for the year of your donor car if using one,I have purchased several others which were of no comparison.Just read up closely on the Chiltons ,it is very accurate.The rest of knowledge and confidence you will gain over time.I have been playing with cars for 15 years and am still full of wonder.

·
Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
See if you can get an actual Ford Service Manual for your year. I had the Chiltons then scored the Ford book and it is easier to read (diagrams printed bigger not a copy from microfilm). Mine was on ebay for a 1990 for $37.

Best book yet

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
There is a specific sequence that you need to follow when tightening the bolts on the intake. Do you have a torque wrench? If not you will need to purchase one. Make sure you go back over the bolts 4 or 5 times.
What all else is on the engine?? I'll be happy to scan the page out of one of my books and post it here if all you need to do it bolt on the intake.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need to install the alternator, starter, clutch, Transmission, pumps, upper intakes, distributer, carb, coil.
Thanks...every time I think I'm stumped, this forum gives me the help and confidence to nudge forward.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Originally posted by skunkman:
I have a crate 302 from breeze. I now have lots of parts to bolt on. I don't know a great deal about this stuff....any advice would be helpful. First I was going to instal the upper intake - do I just bolt it on over the gasket? Thanks
Tips appreciated
Me too. This is another one of those things the build school didn't prepare me for. :D

With a crate motor what is the best book? Any year with a 5.0 motor?

·
Registered
3,193 Posts

·
Former Roadster Owner
1,861 Posts
Originally posted by skunkman:
Tips appreciated
First install the lower intake.

I'm just kidding ya. Get the torque spec and proper sequence from a manual. Make sure you have the proper gasket, and use a torque wrench.

Keep asking questions, and don't worry its hard to mess up an engine by just bolting things on. You'll be fine. -dan

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
Originally posted by Mike in CA:
Silly question, but do you have a manual to help you along? If not, that should be your first step. And no, you need RTV on both sides of the gasket. Also put anti-seize on the bolt threads.

Cheers

Mike
If you are putting the upper intake onto the lower I have not used RTV - just put the gasket on, lower the upper carefully onto the lower and snug down the bolts - I just hand tighten them. If you are putting the lower on, then that is a whole different operation - RTV around the coolant holes, etc etc - you might want to consider searching some of the mustang sites such as www.corral.net - there are good write ups on there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts