Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rebuilt 302 and want to know what year it was made. I understand that there is a part number cast into the block somewhere. Can any one tell me where to look and how to decipher the number. Is it possible that some aftermarket blocks did not get a part number cast into the block?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
The number is stamped into a small flat surface on the rear top center of the block. As I recall this is the same surface that the intake manifold mates too but the small area where the number is sticks out a little wider than the manifold so you can still see the number with the manifold on. As for deciphering the number best I can recall manuals from Chiltons and similar have this info. I'm sure you could probably find it online somewhere as well. As I recall there was some info on decoding numbers here (although it may be limited to GT) www.mustanggt.org

·
4,494 Posts
The number that Matt is talking about, stamped into the small flat on the block is the block serial number. That will not give you any info as to year model. It is simply the last 8 characters (2 letters and 6 numbers) of the VIN of the original car.

·
Junior Charter Member
791 Posts
If it is the same as the 351W block there were casting numbers on the shelf of the oil pan boss? at the left rear of the engine (laying on your back looking up from the drivers side)might also be on heads if it was a complete engine. Don't know if the aftermarket blocks had them if Ford did not cast it? first letter and digit give year -
D=7, E=8, F=9 example:
D0XXXX = 70
D1XXXX = 71
E0XXXX = 80
F2XXXX = 92 etc.
HTH Jon

·
FFCobra Fanatic
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is no number stamped on the flat at the rear of the engine. Could it be that some blocks did not get a serial number? Engine now has replacement aluminum heads.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Some blocks did not get a serial number. I got a rebuilt engine in my donor. The engine was done by a facility in Louisville Ky. which then sells them to shops around the country to replace blown engines. This facility put a shiny metal remanufactured plate way back near the alternator/waterpump mounting bolts. It is visible only from the front of the engine and you have to get in there and look for it. Your motor might be from the same or similar outfit so check around for a shiny 2"x2" plate.

·
he who lives by the sword. gets shot by those who
2,847 Posts
must have been "Decked" at some point........
Ben

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
I have an engine out of a 96 explorer that has no number at all. This was a 5000 mile vehicle, so I seriously doubt that the engine was ever replaced. I believe that Ford installs some with no number.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts