Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Runs with scissors!
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just lost my engine builder :eek:

Long story short, a good friend who is quite a FSB guru has been offered an out of state job (pretty much a dream job for him) and has to be there in about 10 days. He and I have my motor all planned out, most of the parts have been procured and the machine work will be done soon.

My original plan was to do the assembly at his shop, essentially with him looking over my shoulder, but that won't be possible now. I have assembled a few motors but they have all been GM products and they were all essentially stock rebuilds, where this one will not be stock at all (see my sig).

Anyway, I will have access to him via phone during the assembly and I feel perfectly competent to do it myself, but I would also like to pick up a few good resource books that I can look at beforehand. Looking for books that have lists of torque specs, etc, and point out the little tips and tricks while steering me clear of any typical pitfalls associated with these motors. Anything geared specifically towards 347 kits and AFR's would be most relevant.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
I used Tom Monroe's "How to Rebuild Small Block Ford Engines". It's dated for most pre-80's Ford cars but with the only real issue of the firing order, everything else in the manual is great for rebuilding any motor.

I built my first short block following this manual but I used ARP bolts and followed their torque specs. But if using the same bolts that came from the motor, the torque specs in the book are fine.

Anytying else I had issues with, were answered by a lot of knowledgeable folks here ( FordManDan, mrmustang, 2FAST4U, Mike Forte, etc.)

Good luck!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,274 Posts
I've read through "How To Rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines" by Tom Monroe as well as "How To Rebuild The Small-Block Ford" by George Reid. Monroe seems to have more detailed explanations but Reid has a lot more pictures.

I'm now reading Reid's "How To Build Big-Inch Ford Small Blocks". Next on the shelf is "Ford Windsor Small Block Performance" by Isaac Martin.

My next order from Amazon will be for "How to Tune and Modify Ford Fuel Injection" by Ben Watson, "How to Tune & Modify Your Ford 5.0 Liter Mustang" by Steve Turner, and "Carrol Smith's Nuts,Bolts,Fasteners and Plumbing Handbook" By Carrol Smith.

There's a great DVD on Ebay, Building The HP Racing Ford 351-W SB Engine. He builds a 410W. It's a great companion to the books. DO NOT buy the one sold by seller ezsautomotive. It's really cheesy and not nearly as detailed as this one from seller nitrousfueler (Ideal Productions)

·
New
999 Posts
I'm in the process of re-building my SBF (97 Mercury Mountaineer) and using Chilton's 89-93 Mustang Repair Manual, "Building Ford Short-track Power" published by SA Design, and Reid's "Small Block Ford". I like
Reid's the best but having all 3 is a benefit. Be advised - SA's Manual contains torque value errors.

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
The only thing other than it being a normal SBF build would be notching the block and getting the pushrods right.

Torques will be all Fords, except when your using aftermarket bolts.

" A caveman can do it " Just don't be a caveman in a hurry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.