Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I got the tranny mounted, I felt bullish about the engine install. So unstuck the engine hoist from behind the some stuff and went to work.

After some help from my son to position the tranny as the whole thing went in the engine was resting in it's final spot. I ended up loosening the passenger side poly mount from the engine in order to put the set post in position. When that was set I dropped the engine down and tightened the mount to the engine again. Mounted the tranny to the poly mount and then put the drive shaft in. Drive line in: check.

The only thing that struck me as odd is that the top of the shifter is not level.

Everthing is mounted the way it should. Anything to worry about or is this normal?

John

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
Can you loosen the engine mounts and reposition the trans?

·
Senior Charter Member
2,969 Posts
That's nice John...I have the same valve covers.

Can't help you on the level issue though...

Marc

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hey John,
I love when the engine goes in! Looking good. I recommend putting the headers on before playing with the level too much.

I noticed that level issue too, and was a bit concerned too. However, once I put the headers on, that's when a bigger level issue really showed itself, as the header ends are so far out from the engine that any tilt really creates a difference in height. My right header would not get through the bottom of the body cutout, and the left header was at the very top of the body cutout. I had to loosen and adjust the engine mounts (there is some adjustment there), in order to make the headers and exhausts line up to the body cutous properly. Once that was done, it came really close to solving the tranny level issue.

HTH, John

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hey John,
I love when the engine goes in! Looking good. I recommend putting the headers on before playing with the level too much.

I noticed that level issue too, and was a bit concerned too. However, once I put the headers on, that's when a bigger level issue really showed itself, as the header ends are so far out from the engine that any tilt really creates a difference in height. My right header would not get through the bottom of the body cutout, and the left header was at the very top of the body cutout. I had to loosen and adjust the engine mounts (there is some adjustment there), in order to make the headers and exhausts line up to the body cutous properly. Once that was done, it came really close to solving the tranny level issue.
HTH, John
X2. Attach the headers and then adjust the mounts.

·
Junior Charter Member
621 Posts
Looks great John,
That is a big checkoff on the list.
One step after another, keep the motivation up, drink more coffee.
Chris

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, it does feel great to see a big milestone finished. Working on the e-brake cable set up now. Wish I would 've given that a little more attention before powder coating as I would have been able to weld some brackets to the frame. It seems I'm going to have to do some bolt on applications now.
Also bought a gasket and some mounting bolts for the Fast EZ unit. Will put that on next.
Robbie, cars need to be driven! It's like buying a new pair of sneakers, they only look good for a little while :001_tongue:

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.