Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes it's true. Stopped at the body shop this morning and lo and behold there was the body all primered and ready for paint. Now I have to step aside for an antique oil truck that will take about 6 to 8 weeks and then paint.
One word to those folks that can finish the coupe for thirty grand or less. You better plan on getting the cheapest doner you can and do all your own body work and painting. Body work on mine (black body) amounted to 204.5 hours and that is with the new red driver's door. Figure that out at $40/hour, and that is pretty good. Others around here are around $60 or $70/hour. Add to this material at around $1,200. Primer is $245/gallon. Hardener runs close. Now painting will take about 80 hours with about $1,200 in material. But the end is in sight. One good thing, I get to use the body shop wheeled buck for storage until paint. Just roll everything up on the trailer and take it home. Maybe I'll be ready by summer.

Bill

·
HighPlainsDrifter
549 Posts
Still lots of bodywork

Hi,
The paint, wet sand and buffing take just about as much work as the prep so you're only 1/2 way there.
good luck,
Perry.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Awesome you are almost done but WOW that blows for the price of bodywork. :eek: I have some limited fiberglass experience but I feel I can do it, however long it takes. I will try to avoid that price tag.

Now that I think of it it might even be cheaper to do the bodywork and just have a wrap put on it?

·
Peckin' away at it
1,047 Posts
Hi,
The paint, wet sand and buffing take just about as much work as the prep so you're only 1/2 way there.
good luck,
Perry.

cheerful news! I am getting close to shooting primer and was thinking the end was near.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chaz

How many coats? Mine will be 4 coats color with wet sanding and 4 coats clear with wet sanding, buffing and polishing. Also the body will be in storage for 8 weeks prior to paint, so final sanding and some filler will probably be in order. I don't know how this could be done in 14 hours.

Bill

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi Bill. 4 coats blue three coats white two coats pearl on the white and four coats clear. We used Dupont chroma base and diden't sand between coats.
My friend the body man who painted my car has been doing this for A living for almost forty years and has an ASE autobody technition of the year award. Most people that know him call him an artist.
Chaz...

·
Registered
234 Posts
That is a lot of time.

Bill,
Glad to hear that your Coupe is getting closer but WOW what a cost for all of the body work:eek:
I am some glad that I can do all of that paint stuff myself.
That will be cool to see two coupes on the road in the cold state of Maine:evil:
Mark

·
FFR Rookie Craftsman
2,937 Posts
Howdy,

WOW!! OMG!!!

That's well over $12k for bodywork and paint.

I'm going to do all the bodywork and paint on my Spyder so it'll just cost the price of materials.

My labor is free, plus it keeps me from being bored.

Paul

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Bill,

Great news, I foresee two Coupes rolling in my drive this Summer. Keep at it!
If you need help lifting the body back on when it's ready let me know.

John

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John - thanks for the offer but I've got quite a crew of 5 who helped lift it off. One of the liftees just purchased his 45th muscle car!! Must be nice. Course he owns an oil company, cell tower, couple warehouses, storage facility, gym. Single never been married, I guess that must pay off!!

Chaz - my body guy is 58, started on Corvettes at 15, only worked Corvettes all his life. Says we'll find him someday collapsed in fiberglass dust. He told tales of the local Chevy dealership sending brand new Corvettes to him to take out the waves and repaint, the glass was so bad from the factory. Roy Hewson has over 400 hours body work and paint. Tell em Roy.

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.