Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added an 8.5 x 20 foot enclosed trailer to my toys. There is plenty of room for the car. First thing we checked, would the door clear the wheel well? It did. But the door wouldn't open far enough to allow you to put your foot down trying to get out of the car. We moved the car over until the tire just missed the wheel well on the passenger side and still not a chance. We do have pillar slats, windows in and brake duct scoops installed. Those items each restrict your limbo moves trying to make it work. An escape door was an option that costs about as much as a cheap winch and I would definitely have ordered one. Still don't actually know if the bottom ledge on the escape door would be low enough to clear the door. For now a winch is in our future so we don't have to be in the car to load or unload it. I'm thinking trailer nose up to load or unload and a winch that is power in and out. Your ideas?

Thanks, Glen

·
Registered
410 Posts
Glen,

If you are able, could you post some pictures?

I'm trying to think this whole process through. I'm not sure what I want or need to do?

Bob

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
I've been thinking about the same thing with my Coupe hopefully ready for trailer in/out next year. Door opening is one thing. Unlikely with my current trailer. Even with the door reasonably open, the added obstacles of a trailer will make a challenging entry/exit (for me anyway) that much harder. Right now I see a winch in my future.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Seems a winch is the only way to do it without a side door.
Asked the question when FF made their own trailers, cause they didn’t make a side door in theirs which surprised me.

John

·
Premium Member
2,516 Posts
I have a 8.5 x 20 wells cargo, and it did come with an escape door. Loading the cobra ( roadster ) is easy, just step over the side. Sometimes I do not use the escape door when loading the roadster. But I can see how with a coupe it would be impossible to get out of the car, so a winch or an escape door (or both), will be needed.

In my case, I also carry a couple of lowered fox mustangs, and even with the escape door, the door of the car was not high enough to be able to open the mustang door through the escape door.

So.....I added ramps inside the trailer that are about 5-6 inches off of the floor, 12 inches wide. Now I can use the escape door as designed. The ramps also make it a lot easier to get under the car when tying the car down. The ramps are at the same angle as the ramp door until I am in far enough to level them out.

Check with a RV repair guy about adding a door. Or maybe your trailer dealer will be able to work something out.

EDIT: If you can have a escape door installed into your trailer, you can have it put where YOU want it, not where the trailer manufacturer puts it.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
When I took my coupe to get it inspected by trailer, getting in and out of the door was not easy.
I would not have done what I did with a painted car. You need an escape door on the trailer.
David W

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
I have hauled a coupe and a GT-40 in my 18’ enclosed trailer. I was able to get out of both but if I was and heavier I’m not sure it would have been possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob, Are you thinking about a trailer? John tried to teach me how to post pics, but I am a hard learner. PM me your e-mail and I'll send you some.

Paul, My Coupe came home on an open trailer once. Of course they are all different but it was easy to use. We could keep the door open to steer, that is not possible on the new one due to the cables for helping lift the ramp. And the trailer was open down the middle and that made strapping it down easy too. I just wanted something more secure than a SE. Plus my whole trailer cost about as much as the soft part of a SE.

John, I was surprised that the FFR trailers didn't have escape doors too. They have a picture of a winch but no mention of it in the description and no mention of an option for the escape door. I would not be surprised if someone from FFR doesn't chime in with an easy/safe way to load it.

Derald, The ramps will help give me more clearance in the middle of the car right at the hinge for the back door ramp. it has 1 1/2 inches now. I can make and install the escape door once I find the frame work and hardware.

David, I agree. An escape door is probably in my future.

You don't need a 20 footer to haul any Factory Five car. I want to be able to haul a full size car or truck if need be. These trailers usually have 3500 lb axles and tires so it gets a 7000 lb GVW and can carry about 4000 lbs. I got 5200 lb axles that include bigger springs and tires. It has a 9900 lb GVW so I should be able to carry 6900 lbs. I also got jacks on the rear corners so I can load or unload the car without being hooked up to a tow vehicle. I thought we needed some info here to help ease the process of getting a trailer.

Looking forward to hearing your $ .02,

Glen

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have hauled a coupe and a GT-40 in my 18’ enclosed trailer. I was able to get out of both but if I was and heavier I’m not sure it would have been possible.

Were the windows in Rob? Without the windows you could open the door, step on the rocker panel while standing up, and then step over the door. Surely easier said than done

·
Registered
237 Posts
I’m selling my 2016 Montrose custom Sports car Trailer fits my GT40, Daytona and Cobra very well
$14k

Maui
949 259 3109

Sold

Attachments

·
Senior Charter Member
2,970 Posts
For what it’s worth...I have an 8.5x 20’ enclosed trailer without an escape door. (At least I think it is 8.5’ wide)

After the car was finished i trailered it to get safetied and on the same day I took it (via the trailer) to a weekend car show. I don’t recall the specifics (4 years ago) but I drove it on and off by myself. It would have been tight but it worked. I have the low back seats and no side impact frame mod. The door just cleared the wheel well.

Marc

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Were the windows in Rob? Without the windows you could open the door, step on the rocker panel while standing up, and then step over the door. Surely easier said than done

Hmmm, now that you mention it, there were not side window in the coupe. GT-40 had all of the windows.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Years ago a friend bought his wife a Brock Coupe. They had a double length trailer, the doors wouldn't open enough to get in.

She had to climb in through the hatch and then squeeze through to the seat.

I have a great rearview photo of the process.

Jim

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Years ago a friend bought his wife a Brock Coupe. They had a double length trailer, the doors wouldn't open enough to get in.

She had to climb in through the hatch and then squeeze through to the seat.

I have a great rearview photo of the process.

Jim
You know the rules: "No pics it didn't happen!"

:grin2:

John

·
Registered
96 Posts
Soft sided

I have been hauling my Coupe with a 78" X 16' open trailer. The Coupe's door just clears the top of the trailer fender. I have ordered a custom soft sided top for the trailer. It will come as a kit. See attached picture. It has a side door, front access doors for tie-downs, winch access (if needed). Very nice people to work with. I have been told it will travel quite nicely. I just did not want the weight of a hard sided trailer. Just an idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I haul my Coupe in a 8.5x 24 ft Haulmark and use a winch with power out and in to load and unload my car and it works fine. I use four 8 ft heavy ratchet straps to anchor the car each strap has a 2 ft axle strap with a d ring in each end. To load my car I run the ratchet strap under the nose and use the axle strap run through the back of the lower a arm under the sway bar on each side of the front. Hook both of these front straps to the winch cable hook and pull the car into the trailer. Once inside put the car in gear and connect each ratchet strap to the d ring anchor two more on the back to d rings tighten and you are good to go. When you unload look for a level spot or one where the trailer is slightly down hill to ease unloading. My winch also has a 15 ft cord with the in out control for the winch which makes it easier to position the car. If you need to lower the rear of the trailer you can back your tow rig up on some ramps you can create with a 2 to 3 ft section of 2x8 or 2x10 and a short 4x4 back the tow rig up on the ramps to raise the front of the trailer a bit. The bottom flange on my Lakewood bell housing used to hit the top of the tail gate during loading unloading so I cut the bottom section of the flange off as it also stuck down below the 4 in round tube slightly. Also a caution, be sure your ratchet straps are closed when you start to unload your car as they will just unwind as you car starts down the ramp and coast away from the trailer dragging the straps no longer wound around the ratchet mechanism. My son caught up with the car and prevented it from running into a couple of my fellow auto-x friends. HTH CB

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have been hauling my Coupe with a 78" X 16' open trailer. The Coupe's door just clears the top of the trailer fender. I have ordered a custom soft sided top for the trailer. It will come as a kit. See attached picture. It has a side door, front access doors for tie-downs, winch access (if needed). Very nice people to work with. I have been told it will travel quite nicely. I just did not want the weight of a hard sided trailer. Just an idea.
Please show us some pictures of yours once you get it and let us know how it works, oh and what the cost was :)

Thanks,

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming.

Right now we are prepping for moving my son/build partner into his first home. The trailer is half loaded right now. Security and versatility are two reasons I bought a hard sided trailer.

There really isn't that much weight difference, the big difference is aerodynamic. Check out Pete Brock's Aerovault.

I think I am going to start picking up the aluminum pieces necessary to build and install an escape door. Along with a winch, I should be able to load the Coupe if it is running or not. Anyone have suppliers for these?

Merry Christmas to All, Glen

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been thinking about the same thing with my Coupe hopefully ready for trailer in/out next year. Door opening is one thing. Unlikely with my current trailer. Even with the door reasonably open, the added obstacles of a trailer will make a challenging entry/exit (for me anyway) that much harder. Right now I see a winch in my future.
Hey Paul,

Will your Coupe fit in the Serpant Express trailer length-wise?

Jeff

1 - 20 of 22 Posts