Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

7,201 Posts
I had a 14-foot Serpent Express (HOME) and it was great. Pulled very well, light weight, easy to load/unload. The only thing I would do different would be to buy the 16-foot unit. At 14-feet, the back of the Roadster is right at the back of the trailer. I'd like a bit more room there. Other than that, I'd buy (in fact, I will be) another one (I just sold the 14-footer.)

Ray

· Owner
355 Posts
Enclosed Trailer Info

You'll need a 8' or 8.5' wide unit unless you have a FIA car. The width of the hips on 427 cars is too wide to clear the door cables on 7' doors.

I use a 16' long trailer with plenty of room for extra stuff. Many guys use a 20' since it is kind of standard and will fit longer wheelbase cars.

8 x 16 or 8 x 20 will get the job done

Make sure you either get a dove tailed floor or one with drop axles to help with loading. Standard floor trailers require extra ramps to cut down the break-over angle when loading.

Paul

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
I would think a 16' is about minimum. you can fit into a 14', but the 2 extra feet are pretty handy while still being easy to manage.

A Serpent Express is an excellent choice for a light weight easy to tow trailer. It is a little bit less secure than a hard sided trailer. But a hard side is surprisingly easy to break in to. The SE is not very intrusive if you want to park it in your back yard all year.

A hard sided trailer is nice if you want to add cabinets, or a pull out awning. But it's heavier, more expensive, and can sometimes be more difficult to tow (like in a 45mph cross wind).

· Registered
779 Posts
I have a 20' Haulmark. Plenty of room for the roadster and "other stuff".

· Registered
3,619 Posts
I have a 24 ft haulmark with a winch mounted in the front to load and unload my Coupe. Has lots of room in the front for things like a floorjack, gas can,spare tirefor triailer, ez up awning for hot days, chairs etc. I think the extra 2 ft is worth considerng. I even carry around a porta potie for events that do not have "adequate facilities" as the wife dislikes full porta johns.
Happy wife, happy Auto-x:
CB

· Cobra Poor
651 Posts
I have an 8.5'x20' Haulmark that works great for the two or three times I've actually used it. It's for sale too if you're interested ;)

· Junior Charter Member
1,712 Posts
Something else to keep in mind...your tow vehicle. If you plan to go to track days, like i do, I haul my car, tools, extra tires and sometimes camping gear to stay at the track. I found my Avalanche wasn't enough truck to do the job, but the F250 Diesel is plenty :D

· Registered
3,619 Posts
Purple V: Good point, I've seen a number of large trailers going down the road pulled by a tow vehicle that I consider to small for the job. IMHO if you are going to tow a trailer that weighs around 6000 lb loaded you need to have adequate brakes on the trailer and the tow vehicle. The cooling system on the tow vehicle should also be up to the job, a trans cooler and an oil cooler shoud be part of the package. Something else to consider is the rear tire selection on a tow vehicle, 4 ply tires have a lot of side wall flex in them and with a bumper hitch type trailer using them tends to add rear steer to the tow unit as you brake or go around turns. If you are going to use a 1/2 ton truck to pull a trailer use at least a 6 ply tire IMHO.
Just a thought:
CB

· Senior Charter Member
3,515 Posts
You'll need a 8' or 8.5' wide unit unless you have a FIA car. The width of the hips on 427 cars is too wide to clear the door cables on 7' doors.

I use a 16' long trailer with plenty of room for extra stuff. Many guys use a 20' since it is kind of standard and will fit longer wheelbase cars.

8 x 16 or 8 x 20 will get the job done

Make sure you either get a dove tailed floor or one with drop axles to help with loading. Standard floor trailers require extra ramps to cut down the break-over angle when loading.

Paul

I've got a 16x7 trailer - my 427 fits fine.

Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.