Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is my first post on this forum. So everyone, be kind.
I live in Upstate NY. I built an Mk4 using a 1996 mustang GT donor. I registered the car two years ago, and it passed inspection the first two years. This year I brought the car to a different garage for an inspection, and it failed. The first two years, the garage did not hook the car up to the OBD port; this year the mechanic did so, and it threw some codes.
I built the car and the engine myself. It is pretty much a stock engine block, which I had round bored before rebuilding with new pistons, rings, bearings, etc. I have a mild "RV" cam in it, which gives a little more low end torque. I'm using stock 1996 EFI. However I am not running cats,EGR, lower O2 sensors or canister. The engine runs great.
I have a BAMA SCT tuner. Does anyone know if there are any "tricks" that can be tuned into the computer so it'll pass? Or is there a way to get a waiver of some sort so I can avoid the emissions inspection altogether? Or can anyone recommend a shop in the Upstate NY area that knows a work around?
When I built the car I was under the impression that homemade cars/hotrods were exempt from the emissions testing. That's my excuse. Retrofitting all those devices is going to be prohibitively expensive, so I don't know what I'll do if I can't get a pass.
Thanks
Joel

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
2,013 Posts
Joel i remember you posting that you had some drive ability issues a while back and that your close to Albany correct?

Don't walk but RUN away from that shop. They have no idea how to deal with a custom build. YES, you are exempt from the OBD II check, they just don't know how to enter it in the system properly. I just had mine done last month and they said NY has fixed a lot of the bugs in the computer systems so it's recognizes "custom" now and it's not a big deal anymore. I'll post a message to our local email chain to see if there are any cobra friendly shops in the Albany area (the one I go to is a bit out of the way for you)

·
Cobra Builder
1,724 Posts
Joel,

I’m close by, Fieldman’s in East Greenbush/ Rensselaer have inspected mine for close to 10 years. They understand the process and are hot rodders in their own right. LMK if you need anything. Send me a pm if you want to run with other local FFR owner/builders. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you guys so-o-o much. I'll follow up with both shops. My sticker is good through the end of July.
Joel

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It passed! I just had to bring it to an inspection station that knows the rules regarding kit and homebuilt cars. Thanks to Arrowhead and P Wyman for your referrals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts