Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get the traditional "Cobra" logo embossed on my dash leather (or vinyl- haven't decided which I'm doing yet). Something similar to this pic, but with the round "shelby cobra" logo instead:

Anyone have any ideas of where I could get it done?

-SB

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Hay, That's my dash! :D
The technique only works with large simple patterns, such as the letters or the coiled cobra fender emblem seen on more modern Cobra Mustangs.
The letters or design is cut from 1/16" fiber board, the edges ase sanded to round them over a little, and then the design is glued to the aluminum. After it is set up, adhesive is layed down, and the leather is placed over the dash. A small wheeled device was used to work the leather into the details of the design. Although the design sometimes looks embossed, it's actually raised. I had a local custom shop do this for me. I'm not sure of the type of adhesive used, but know it was in a spray can. AC Roadster Interiors, (forum vendor) probably uses a similar process with some of his products. John

·
Senior Charter Member
1,668 Posts
You'd probably have to go with vinyl to get the detail. You have to use a heat gun to get the detail. It's a fine line between getting it into the pattern and melting the textute off of the vinyl. Practice make perfect, I do everything twice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts