Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A picture is worth a thousand words.....one look at Luke and you know exactly what he is planning. A series of circumstances led to his master plan.

1. Motorcycle crash means no sidecar trip to Niagara
  2. 15 year old sister needs a car
  3. Convertible is more family and broken back friendly than bikes
  4. Too much time driving the Daytona Coupe in Forza Horizon
  5. A Dad that has wanted a Cobra his whole life
He has now successfully accomplished step 1, get Dad to buy a donor car that sister can drive while in school. Step 2 is putting the drivetrain in the kit so he can drive it while in school. Step 3 would be convincing Dad on the Coupe instead of the Roadster....but I don't hold much hope for this one.

In theory, this means we are 3 years away from moving the drivetrain to a kit. I am skeptical he will actually want to give up a convertible when closer to driving age, nevermind prying the Mustang from Sister when she leaves for college.

As to specs, the Mustang has lots of bolt-on goodness. GT40P, TFS Intake/Cam, Roller Rockers, 3.73, Steeda Shifter, Edelbrock TB, Pro-M Mass Air, FRP Headers, X-pipe, Flowmasters, 30lb Injectors, Drag Slicks, etc, etc.

I have seen another Cobra in town (Verona, WI) and know another guy with an original one. Hopefully they both will at least let us do some gawking before we decide on the kit. Nevermind the highschool friend connection that not only has one, but is brother to the head of R&D :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank you SlowLeak for not only answering all my stupid questions about the kit/process, but even showing me your awesome build and the rip through the countryside :))

Now that I know the build school is only the other side of Lake Michigan, I have inquired about attending with my son. I think walking through the build will tell us exactly what we are getting into and if we should proceed (though I am pretty sure he has not doubts, but at 11 that could change at any time).

Just need to beg the genuine Cobra owner I know for a little show now :) Could never afford that, but I am very curious the difference between original and kit.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
If you ask the guys to see their cars and they say no, cry like hell. It works every time. Roger

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He isn't married, but I do know his partner. Not sure that does me any good.

As to build school, they are full until late this year. They also said an 11 year old can't attend, minimum age is 12. That puts us at next summer before we can attend.

Seems like I have plenty of time to research, find the cheapest way to build this thing and keep tweaking the mustang parts that will make their way into the roadster. The engine feels very strong, but I don't like the feel of 3rd gear. Perhaps a T5 rebuild is in our future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We are loving the power on our tuned 5.0 (added quarterhorse) but are already talking about adding more via heads, stroker and/or blower. Is this reasonable? Figure we are nearly at 300rwhp now in the Mustang, but 450 would be better. How well does the roadster handle more power? Or is the 1000lb weight loss between Mustang and Roadster more than enough to satisfy the urge for more power?

Sent from my ME371MG using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looks like you have a solid plan, and what better way to get a young kid involved in something fun? Wish my father was inspired to do that for me when I was younger but all he wanted to do was play golf on the weekends. No offense to any of you golfers out there, I like to play too. I had to learn everything I know about working on cars by doing it myself or with my gearhead friends.

Also, I think that engine in a car that's roughly 1000 lbs lighter than the Mustang will feel pretty quick. Maybe try it that way for awhile before adding more power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts