Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using one///how do they work I assume they do not have a cable or gears...sound perfect for if youc change gears, tires sizes etc...The reason Ia ask is I finally got a 23t speedo gear (running 3:55's and it wa s right on...however today it stopped working, I pulled it out and it was history..I was told they don't last long but 100 miles??
Dpmaz

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
The electronic speedo uses wires instead of a cable. But, it still uses a gear driven sending unit to create the signal. If you're eating driven gears, then you have a mismatch between drive and driven gears. If you just feed it more driven gears, you'll destroy the drive gear. You'll have to disassemble the transmission to fix that.

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
Might want to think about having a gear reduction box made at a local speedometer shop. I was able to use the 18 tooth driven gear which is alot stronger. Cost was about $100 for the reducer and the cable end fittings.

Scott

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Wow, 100 miles! I tried running a 23T gear when I had 4.10's in the car. Didn't even make it out of the driveway!!! The teeth on the 23T gear are paper thin. ANY drag on the speedo cable and they're toast. Mike Forte hooked me up w/ a special cable w/ a gear reduction box that allowed me to use a standard speedo gear, and got me a perfect calibration. I think the cost was around $100 or so.

·
Charter Member
308 Posts
I have Classic gauges and their electronic speedometer. They supply an eletronic sending unit that is installed on the trany. The speedometer has a set of dip switchs that allow you to adjust the speedometer to read correctly. Best way to adjust is using a GPS. Took me about 10 minutes and is dead nuts accurate.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,600 Posts
I had the same problem with the 23 tooth gear on my mustang, all the teeth broke off. had to take trans apart to remove all the little plastic teeth. I changed the drive gear to a lower number, 7 in my case *94 mustangs had 8 teeth on the drive gear) and a 21 i think for the driven.

·
Senior Charter Member
391 Posts
Steve S

do you have any pix of the Classic gauges installed. I looked at their web site, and saw the tach and speedo, but what about there other gauges??

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
If you use one of the aftermarket electronic speedometers you will most likely be able to use a stock Ford pulse generator to drive it. The pulse generator has a gear on it (I have a 19T) and it plugs into the transmission in place of the mechanical cable. Each manufacturer has a different calibration procedure, but the bottom line is that if you have access to a 2 or 3 mile section of road that has mile markers you can easily recalibrate for any change in rear end ratio or tire size. If you intend to buy a soeedometer, the electronic plus the pulse generator is cheaper and better than a mechanical unit with a gearbox.

Also, if you chewed up your 23T so easily, you might want to check your cable routing or lubricate the cable (pull out the core and rub it down with graphite powder) and make sure it's not picking up water.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts