Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time for wiring and I’m scared!

I’m going with a carb set up on my MKII, so I have the harness from FFR. Even though I’m going with a carburetor, I’m using an electric pump. I do not see a wire on the harness for a fuel pump though.

So, here’s what I’m thinking… I’ll use a switched wire that I’m not planning on using, likely the one for the C.B. radio (no truckin here). Run that to a manual shut off on the dash and then to the inertia shut off from the donor and on to the fuel pump.

Any reason why this will not work?

I’m sure I’ll be back many times with wiring questions.

Thanx again,

Dave Mak

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
How many amps does your fuel pump require? What is the rating on your switch? You need a relay if your switch is not rated high enough. Also, keep in mind that an electric motor draws about twice it's normal operating amperage for a second or two when it is first turned on.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
908 Posts
I used a relay & fuse near the battery in the rear. I ran the relay trigger wire through the inertia switch. The relay is triggered from my wiper circuit that I also used to trigger my ignition box. I don't have wipers.

I didn't use the radio circuits because I didn't want the fuel pump on in accessory position. I also did not use a separate manual switch on the fuel pump. I have a cut off switch close by for emergencies and if I need to work on the electrical without the fuel pump coming on I can pull it's main fuse off the battery.

·
Charter Member
99 Posts
There should be a fuel pump wire, as my wire kit came with it from FFR. The CB wire is way too light to handle the current. You need 14 ga. minimum, to send the current to the relay. The fuel pump wire should be grouped with the other rear wires already, but if not, keep looking and you should find it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts