Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Charter Member
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the capacity of the battery disconnect switch affect the ability to start a hot engine. I have a Moroso switch rated as follows:

Continuous amps: 20
Surge amp capacity: 125

Moroso offers a switch with 175 continuous amps and 1000 surge amp capacity. Should I replace the one I have?

Also, will the smaller switch affect the cars performance? I've been having trouble at the drag races. The battery seems to get drained ( or perhaps its the switch-I dunno) and the car seems to run progressively slower (perhaps because of a lack of alternator capacity and the drain of the battery). I'm having some overheating issues too despite dual electric fans, Griffen all aluminum radiator, and hi flow mechanical (Ford Racing) water pump. Here are some pics of the cooling and charging system and cutoff switch set ups:

Thanks all,

Jerry

[ April 15, 2007, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: LAWGAP ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
Try bypassing the switch for a small test period to see if it helps at all. If not, consider increasing the size of your + wire. I'm not a big fan of the rear location for the battery, but I know it's the place most people put it.

I also notice that there's no shroud on the radiator. I only have the stock Mustang radiator but it does have the shroud and have had no problem with overheating.

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
20 amps is not enough for continuous cranking and normal loads. Those fans alone draw more than 20 amps. Even if the switch is not the current problem, it could be in the future. Where does your alternator tie to the battery? Is it at the solenoid or back at the cut off switch? I also agree with Jack on the shroud. Those little fans won't cool much of anything without a shroud.

·
Junior Charter Member
89 Posts
Jerry,
Check all the connections clean and tight. Get the bigger cutout switch because I would suspect that 20 amp switch warms right up under your load. Your Battery ground also looks small. The heavier the better on your ground wire. Also try putting all that stuff in a roadster and see if it runs better!
scot

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Good stuff here Jerry.
Get a good kill switch. That one IS probably heating up. That will eventually loosen the connectors on it which will increase the resistance which will make it heat up more...and on and on.

Without a shroud, those fans are only drawing thru their round area. With a shroud, they will draw air thru the entire radiator. They can also, when you're stopped, actually be pulling air around from behind backwards thru the radiator. That air would be hotter than air in front.
Much like a speaker works better when it's boxed than when it's sitting open on the bench.

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Charter Member
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car actually runs cool during normal driving. A shroud may be the answer to the overheating.

The 20 amp continuous amps may be my performance problem. With the battery located in the trunk, both the battery "+" cable and the output wire from the alternator run first through the 20-amp disconnect switch before it goes anywhre else in the car.

THAT MAY BE MY PERFORMANCE PROBLEM. Although, why does the performace seem to fade only as the car gets hotter?

Jerry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts