Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an Auto Meter electric speedo and Ford's OEM sender:

Auto Meter's instructions say to route one of the sender's wires to ground and the other to the "Signal" terminal on the speedo.

Problem is, both of the sender's wires are white and the instructions don't refer to wire color.

Can I assume that wire choice doesn't matter and just arbitrarily pick one for signal and the other for ground?

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Run both wires from the sender to the gauge and ground one of them with the gauge ground...just in case you have to reverse them.

Happy motoring

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Doesn't matter. One to ground, and one to speedo. That completes the circuit. Sometimes, it really is that simple ;)

·
THRAMP-master
3,473 Posts
Redd Snake - I'm researching new gauges right now, and I'd rather route two wires than a 3/8" cable. What's the part number on that sender? Is that a Ford unit or Auto Meter? Just plugs into the Ford unit where the cable did?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
It's the speed control pulse sender from the Mustang. And polarity doesn't matter.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bwana50,

It's a Ford sender, and bolts right on where the cable would normally go:

Auto Meter also sells one, but it has a larger diameter and interferes with the transmission case near where the pad is bolted on (at least on my TKO).

These are the part numbers:

Ford sender assembly: DY-588 (Cross-reference: E9LZ-9E731-A)
Pigtail plug: 95-7500
Speedo gear: D0OZ-17271-B (I got a 21-tooth, but other sizes will do since the speedo can be calibrated after installation)
Speedo gear retaining clip: C1DZ-17292-A

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.