Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quite some time ago I made forum inquiries on options for electric power steering. I had responses, but the printouts have been lost with time. So one more time, what are the best options to install electric power steering. There seems to be some room between the front of the driver side exhaust header (side pipes) and the X support. There is almost no room under the dash.

Give me some leads please and I'll do a better job on my filing. Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi, most people intercept the shaft in the engine bay. I just installed the solution from ePowersteering (basically the Saturn vue/equinox unit) and it works great. It does require some welding and some basic wiring but all in all a pretty easy install. Here is a photo from the top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have one in my Mark III and everything was done in the engine bay. You have to cut and weld the unit into the shaft, plus install the electrical. An amazing upgrade and one that transformed my car. The adjustability is great too.

·
Vegasjack
96 Posts
I have one in my Mark III and everything was done in the engine bay. You have to cut and weld the unit into the shaft, plus install the electrical. An amazing upgrade and one that transformed my car. The adjustability is great too.
You happen to have any install photographs available? Thanks for responding.
Jack

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I gave my wife a picture of the electric power steering article and told her this is what I want for Christmas. She told me to put it in my wish box. Not sure what that means as there is no wish box?

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,260 Posts
I also have it just forwards of the headers. If you PM an e-mail, can send pics.

It does kill response and road feel, so alignment settings are more critical.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,834 Posts

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[email protected] for any pictures you have on power steering. I've been following this subject for many months. I'm also interested in difficulties with the install. I don't have a welder. Did you cut up the original steering shaft?

Also did I see a booster brake setup in one of your pictures or was that another guy? I'm also looking to improve my brakes and have been stuck in the mud since I first started on the project.

Thanks for providing info. Jim

·
Registered
403 Posts
Yes - you need to cut the steering shaft and take out about 10-11 inches to make room for the electric power steering unit. I don't weld, but I found a local welder to weld the couplings onto the cut steering shaft. Only cost about $30 - he was very reasonable.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,260 Posts
WJ, Sent a few for you to see

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes - you need to cut the steering shaft and take out about 10-11 inches to make room for the electric power steering unit. I don't weld, but I found a local welder to weld the couplings onto the cut steering shaft. Only cost about $30 - he was very reasonable.
That is some cheap shaft. Will have to look out on this. Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts