Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Lurker/hopeful
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been thinking about this since seeing an episode of Wheeler Dealers recently. Has anyone looked at the electrically assisted power steering rack from the Honda S2000 as an option? I would assume it's a thicker unit than the standard Mustang racks (either power or manual) and the angle of input or the mount locations or anything else might be a deterrent to using one, plus any other electrical connections, but I like the fact that the motor is built into the rack itself, and wraps around the steering rack instead of sticking out of it or needing to be mounted between steering wheel and rack. Seems like if it will fit it would be a good compact way of adding power steering to any of the different models from Factory Five.

I don't have the dimensions of the rack, but I did a quick search the other day and found several used racks available under $200, like this one.

04-09 honda s2000 AP2 oem steering gear rack n pinion ..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,871 Posts
A lot of people have looked at it. But it's controlled by the ECU, and no one's figured out how to bypass that yet.

·
Banned
469 Posts
If a rack is to work properly, it's critical that the distance between the ball joints on the steering arms is correct.

Heidt's explains that if you draw a line between the upper and lower control arm pivot points, that line should intersect the center of the ball joint, or bump steer will occur. Of course, the total length of the steering arms must also be correct to mate with the spindle arms.

·
Junior Charter Member
23 Posts
I know this is old but just in case someone is looking...I just ordered a Volvo electric power steering pump. The plan is to hook it to the stock power assist Fox rack. All you need is hot, ground and battery +. you also have to get a better alternator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts