Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing an Explorer intake that doesn't have the EGR passages so I'm leaving it off, and I have a couple questions.

1. Do I still need to run a vacumm line to the EGR solenoid? (or whatever it's called)

2. Do I still need the solenoid?

Thanks.

Greg

[ July 26, 2002, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: GregR ]

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
If you're leaving the EGR off, then there's no reason to have the control solenoid. You can just un-plug it. Computer will throw a code, but no big deal. If you're worried about the code, wire in a 10k resistor.

·
Cobra Builder/Driver
253 Posts
Wade,

You said wire in a 10K resistor for the EGR. I have wired in a 10K for the TAD and one for the TAB and I still have the EGR position sensor plugged in to the harness, but not attached to the EGR valve so that the computer "sees" it hooked up. Are you saying that I can use a resistor and eliminate the EGR position sensor as well?

Thanks for your advice.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have my Explorer intake on without the EGR and the car runs. But I have a problem, how do I keep the check engine light from coming on? When the car is idling if I push the plunger in about half way it goes off. Do I need to lock this plunger in a certain position? Thanks for any help.

Greg

P.S. I have the A3M computer out of the '93 5.0 5-speed donor if it makes a difference.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
I don't have a check engine light, so it never bothered me! :D You could always put a piece of electrical tape over the light! :D hahahaha

Seriously though, yes you'll need to figure out a way to hold the plunger part-way in to keep the check engine light off.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wade, I used electrical tape, but not over the light. Did a couple wraps around the posision sensor holding the plunger about half way in. Works great but I'll have to figure out a permanent fix. Thanks for all the help.

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts