Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
\\\M3
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my setup: Stock 302 EFI, No Heater, No A/C, No Power Steering, No Power Brakes, This will be a "Spec-Legal" Spec Racer.

1. Do I need the air pump? To my understanding this is just for emissions. Can I get rid of it without performance implications? What do I use to seal the ports on the back of the heads where the the hoses/tubes from the pump go?

3. Vacuum Lines? Am I going to have any or need any? I know they're used in Brake Boosters and Heaters and such, but thats where my knowledge of vacuum ends. Can anyone offer a quick vacuum tutorial?

Thanks Again,
Brendan

·
\\\M3
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I may have answered part of my own question from above. I guess removing the Air Pump merely "unclutters" the engine compartment and removes a little excess weight.

Brendan

Found On The Internet:
The AIR (air induced reaction) pump, commonly known as the smog pump, pumps fresh air into the exhaust system to help the catalysts burn any remaining unburned hydrocarbons. Installing a shorter belt to bypass the AIR pump doesn't make much sense because at WOT the pump's output is just dumped back into the atmosphere rather than into the exhaust system. When the output is dumped the pump requires very little power to run, so the performance gain is essentially non-existent.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,526 Posts
You can plug the two holes with 5/8-11 1" long bolts. Be sure to clean the deposits out. Since most people don't have a 5/8" tap, buy 3 of these bolts at the hardware store. Using a 4" grinder or dremel tool, cut 3 or 4 grooves down the threads of one of the bolts. Use this as a tap to clean up the threads in the hole.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts