Factory Five Racing Forum banner

421 - 440 of 498 Posts

·
Well Used Member
220 Posts
I did something very similar, except I mounted mine in a housing, which pretty much eliminates the 'direct' view of the LED. superbrightleds.com has aluminum housings ( https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/housings/klus-b1888_k7-micro-alu-series-surface-mount-black-anodized-aluminum-led-profile-housing/2039/ ) for the LED strips. I GENTLY bent one to match the hoop bend, put some 3M double sided sticky foam tape on the back, and mounted it with 3 rivets just for good measure. The LED strip goes inside the aluminum housing, and then a nice plastic lens snaps in place to protect it. I actually did the same in the front and rear of the engine compartment.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #422
Sneak Peak

The build is basically complete. Title and registration are still ahead, and finalizing adjustments like alignment, ride height, etc. Plus I actually will get to really drive it! But the build is done. No more parts and no more items on the list. Everything is working as it should. Dropped it off the jack stands and next step is a trailer ride to downtown Detroit Cobo Center on Thursday morning. Today I applied a coat of Zaino (what else?) Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish. Nothing like putting on a coat of polish and wiping it off to see your paint up close. All I can say is Rick just knocked it out of the park. Here are a few sneak peak pics. Still just garage lighting and a little natural light through the windows. I had the garage door open earlier in the day (60 and sunny, record for Michigan) and the sun hitting it takes it to another level. To say I’m happy with it is an understatement.

I’ll post some final pictures in the display from Autorama this coming weekend. Speaking of 60 degrees and sunny, cranked up #7750 and went for a nice cruise around noon. I don’t recall ever getting to do that in February. It ran and drove great like it always does. Can’t wait to do the same with #8674, but realistically that’s a couple months away at least.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Paul,

I'm planning on Autorama on Saturday with friends. Your car is certainly the main reason to attend. Looking forward to seeing it again.

Looks stunning from the photos you've included.

Jim

·
Registered
172 Posts
First of all - Fantastic car and build. Like a million others, I have been following from the beginning. Thank you for sharing all the details.

Question on the polish: my painter told me I should never have to apply anything to the paint, just dust it off and occasionally apply Meguiar's Quick Detail to a dirty spot and wipe it off. With yours just finishing paint, cut and buff, I'm curious about applying polish. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #425 (Edited)
First of all - Fantastic car and build. Like a million others, I have been following from the beginning. Thank you for sharing all the details.

Question on the polish: my painter told me I should never have to apply anything to the paint, just dust it off and occasionally apply Meguiar's Quick Detail to a dirty spot and wipe it off. With yours just finishing paint, cut and buff, I'm curious about applying polish. Thoughts?
Thanks. It's been fun sharing.

You'll get lots of answers and opinions about paint care. Especially new paint. Not everyone will agree with me, but here's my response. First, the shop that painted my car uses a booth and goes through several bake processes. I don't know the details, and I don't believe we're talking about highly elevated temps. But something more than just air dry. So I would be very careful to say my response only applies to my situation. Yours may not be the same. When I asked about applying product to the paint, my painter said do what I want. The finish was "fully cured." His words. This from a guy who's been painting for many years doing mostly custom work in high end shops. I like having sealant on the paint. Makes it easier to keep clean. The dust, etc. just rolls right off. I've used Zaino products for quite a while now, and really like the Z2 + ZFX additive. They called it a polish, but technically that's not the right term. It has no polishing characteristics (e.g. abrasives) but is strictly a sealant. So I agree with that point from your painter. No polish. I waited 3 weeks and did a Zaino Z2 application last weekend. I'm also really careful to use 100% cotton microfiber towels without any borders, tags, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the same application on any paint finish. But I would wait longer in most cases. Whether you use a California duster, detail spray, whatever, it's much easier to keep clean plus looks amazing.

Obviously Zaino isn't the only game in town, and I'm not going to get into that debate. It just happens to be what I like after trying quite a few. There are lots of great products out there.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I've mentioned it before, but want to say again that you've got such a Great Build, and Thank you for sharing it with us.

.... But the build is done. No more parts and no more items on the list.
Selfishly though, I'm disappointed to read this. Every post from your thread has been very educational. I've appreciated your documentation and sharing what you've been learning/doing. You've eased the mod process by making the path that I can easily follow. Thank you.

No more parts and no more items on the list? darn.

Great Job. Wish I could attend the show.
Dave

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks. It's been fun sharing.

You'll get lots of answers and opinions about paint care. Especially new paint. Not everyone will agree with me, but here's my response. First, the shop that painted my car uses a booth and goes through several bake processes. I don't know the details, and I don't believe we're talking about highly elevated temps. But something more than just air dry. So I would be very careful to say my response only applies to my situation. Yours may not be the same. When I asked about applying product to the paint, my painter said do what I want. The finish was "fully cured." His words. This from a guy who's been painting for many years doing mostly custom work in high end shops. I like having sealant on the paint. Makes it easier to keep clean. The dust, etc. just rolls right off. I've used Zaino products for quite a while now, and really like the Z2 + ZFX additive. They called it a polish, but technically that's not the right term. It has no polishing characteristics (e.g. abrasives) but is strictly a sealant. So I agree with that point from your painter. No polish. I waited 3 weeks and did a Zaino Z2 application last weekend. I'm also really careful to use 100% cotton microfiber towels without any borders, tags, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the same application on any paint finish. But I would wait longer in most cases. Whether you use a California duster, detail spray, whatever, it's much easier to keep clean plus looks amazing.

Obviously Zaino isn't the only game in town, and I'm not going to get into that debate. It just happens to be what I like after trying quite a few. There are lots of great products out there.
I have used the Zaino products for years and have great results with no adverse effects. 15 years ago or so they were about the only came in town, not so much anymore. Still use their stuff.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #428 (Edited)
Detroit Autorama 2017 Pictures

We completed move-in yesterday, and today have everything set and polished. Show doesn't officially open for another hour, but there are a bunch of people here already. My location on the show floor is "OK" but not as good as the past. I have a vendor display on each side of me. But we're here and ready for three days, and I enjoy it a lot. With no commentary, here are a bunch of pictures. The floor is the Race Deck out of my old garage that I haven't had a chance to install in the new house yet. Worked out well and I didn't have to rent carpet. The very cool stanchions are from a fellow Great Lakes Cobra Club member, who made them up a couple years ago for his display. The bases are disk rotors, the posts are cams from a Terminator (not Coyote, but I'll make due...) and the tops he had made. Very cool and fitting for the display. Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #429
Detroit Autorama 2017 Pictures continued

·
Caress of Steel
2,110 Posts
:icon18: Very cool, I love how deep that red looks in the indoor lighting. A work of art....Now I've seriously got the itch to build one with a Coyote.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
She looks great Paul. I'm not a huge red fan but I like your choice and those black pin stripes was a great call by you as it really pulls it all together. Those are cool staunchions, they along with the flooring really looks good. Good luck and hope you have enough room for all the trophies.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Paul,

Awesome car really came together extremely well, and I really like your display setup (very slick)! I too want to thank you for your build threads and your help and guidance when I have asked. You and your FFR car(s) are a class act. Best of luck!

I look forward to hearing/reading from you, when you know yourself, on how the LED lighting system performs/compares (especially the headlights). :)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #433
Detroit Autorama Weekend

Great weekend show at the Detroit Autorama. Met and talked to a bunch of people, including club and forum members. The new 20th Anniversary Roadster received a ton of very positive comments. The classic shape draws a crowd, with many comments and surprised looks seeing the Coyote in there. The most common question this time around was not of the usual “Is it real?” variety. Factory Five is really well known and most recognize it as a replica in a positive way. But I had a bunch of “How much did it cost?” questions. Tried to respond with ranges and how the build plan can affect the cost.

All good and a not too bad an ending. First place Handbuilt Sports.

Was happy our son came up from Texas and helped and hung out with Dad for the weekend. Sharon came for the Sunday festivities including the awards. Good times.

Everything is back home and the new Roadster parked back next to #7750. Now to collapse for a couple days.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #437
Congrats Paul! The roadster looked incredible! The attention to detail just jumps out as did the beautiful paint. Great job!!
Thanks! Sorry we missed you. Had to run home for the trailer and wait in line for move out. One of the less glamorous parts of this show.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #439
Is this the headlight switch you are using?
American Autowire 500341 Headlight Switch with Aluminum Knob https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VXLP7U/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_kfdTybHBRF0RD
Not exactly. Those parts from American Autowire look like the same thing, but I can't say for sure. I used an ACDelco D1588, which is just the raw switch, and the rest was from the kit. Including the connector on the Ron Francis harness and the knob/shaft. The headlight switch that comes with the kit is equivalent to the ACDelco D1588. I've just had slightly better experience with the genuine branded ACDelco part.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Those talented hands built a beautiful car. Congrats on the trophy.

Glen

421 - 440 of 498 Posts