Factory Five Racing Forum banner

341 - 354 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #342 (Edited)
Note: This post has seven picture links from the gallery in the other forum. Same as all the other posts in this build thread. The links previously worked, but recently this forum has chosen to block links from that forum. I've reported it several times with no response. So have others. Pending a resolution, I won't be updating this build thread any further here. Kind of useless without pics. Too bad.

Around family visits over the holidays was able to get a few things further along. Then a couple quality days this week. While our oldest son was here, he helped me do the final installation on the side pipes and also final installation on the seats. Another set of hands for tasks like those sure make it easier. Especially when working around that freshly painted body. Before that, with some early mornings and late evenings, was able to get all the carpeting installed. In some ways, easier than the Roadster if you’re also doing the trunk since you’re basically doing the entire interior as one area. I used my standard Dap 00443 Weldwood Outdoor Carpet Adhesive for much of it, and DAP Weldwood Landau Top & Trim HHR Contact Cement for some of the smaller pieces. Both stick very well. But the carpet adhesive allows some repositioning which is critical for larger parts. Especially the giant floor piece. Can’t imagine doing that one with grabbing contact cement. I know a lot of guys use spray adhesive for the carpet, and that’s OK too. I just prefer these products. I have everything done except the folding door for the trunk box, so that’s missing in the pics.

Gas-N side pipes look fantastic. Took one wedge on each side to get them perfect. The kit supplied hangars worked fine after a small adjustment of the hole to the pipe tab.

Not too much of the carpet visible in the cockpit with the seats in. But it’s all there. I'll be adding Russ Thompson sill plates, trimmed a bit because I chose to wrap the carpet over the edge. Did that because (1) Hides the body mounting bolts, (2) Carpet goes under the door so looks better from the inside, and (3) Gives a softer place to rest your elbow when seated. Seems to fall about there for me.

Carpet inside the hatch area including the still open trunk box. Still need to trim the end of the wrapped shoulder straps. Waiting until I confirm the exact length on the seats and finalize the wraps.

Hung the doors and windows. With a little adjustment, fit perfectly. Really happy with how everything lines up.

Today I’m finishing up the door cards and other interior details. Not much left here. Door cards are held on with the door handles and 3M VHB double back tape. Had to remove one after I installed it (don’t ask…) and it holds just fine.

Few more days and items off my list, and I’ll get pics for my Autorama application. It won’t be 100% complete (e.g. mainly windshield not installed yet) but I need to get the application in by the deadline.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #344 (Edited)
Paul you can upload them into the thread just like on the other forum. That’s how I do it too.

Keep posting my friend.

John
Thanks, but no I'm not going to use two different methods. I spend quite a bit of time putting these posts together, and not going to add even more. The image gallery I was linking from worked fine until a few weeks ago when it was blocked with no explanation. I've been cutting and pasting the build thread on this forum basically as a favor to those who only come here. But the fact is it's getting only about 15% of the views compared to the other forum (372K vs. 59K). I see you're on the other forum. It's complete with pictures over there.

·
Super Moderator
29,351 Posts
It’s a gorgeous build Edward. Your attention to detail is unmatched

·
Senior Charter Member
838 Posts
Ed, She's gorgeous! what model Corbeau seat did you use?

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
Thanks guys. Appreciate the positive comments. Looks there's been a change and now my pictures are coming through. Good. There are more updates on the other forum since I haven't been updating here recently.

The seats are Corbeau Sportline Evolution-X 64901F, black vinyl/carbon fiber vinyl, red stitching, optional seat heaters, on Corbeau Single Slider Brackets C22059. There's an inch or two behind the seats, but they won't go back any further because they run into the cockpit corners. Fit the car great for me (5'10"). May not be best for someone trying to maximize every possible inch.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did throw a couple codes related to oil pressure. The pressure is fine (I kept a close eye on the gauge) but apparently the one sensor I removed (at Ford Performance agreement) is still active. Will dig into that.
I ordered my Gen 3 in Oct 2018 after which ford had me return the ECU for a re flash in March 2019. i also get an oil pressure code, P0523. (prior to the re-flash I was getting 2 codes) I called ford racing last week and was told that the ECU uses that signal as a control signal in the cam timing calculation. I haven't yet decided how i will restore that sensor since it is not an NPT connection and I tapped the original hole for the oil pressure gauge sensor.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
I ordered my Gen 3 in Oct 2018 after which ford had me return the ECU for a re flash in March 2019. i also get an oil pressure code, P0523. (prior to the re-flash I was getting 2 codes) I called ford racing last week and was told that the ECU uses that signal as a control signal in the cam timing calculation. I haven't yet decided how i will restore that sensor since it is not an NPT connection and I tapped the original hole for the oil pressure gauge sensor.
Very interesting. Thanks for posting this information. In addition to the oil pressure related DTC's, I was getting another one P061B Internal Control Module Torque Calculation. Hadn't pursued it since the car's not being driven yet. But that totally makes sense that it's related to not getting an oil pressure reading. Hope so anyway. I've since put the OE oil pressure sender back on the engine and in several engine runs, one for a while to full temp, haven't seen any DTC's. I hope that means the problem is solved. I haven't been posting any updates here because of the issues with my pictures not showing up. Long story, but looks like they changed their mind and are now allowing them. But I've moved on. This is the update I posted on the other forum about 10 days ago:

So, my final update is about the Gen 3 Coyote. Earlier I mentioned (maybe a couple times) that the Gen 3 Coyote needs to have the OE oil pressure sensor installed. Otherwise the system starts throwing error codes (DTC’s). This is different than the Gen 2 where the OE sensor could be removed and replaced with the aftermarket sensor for the gauge. Also different than what Ford Performance told me when I first asked. Grrr. Although if you call and ask now they will say the OE sensor has to be there. Factory Five will tell you the same thing. Sometimes it hurts a little to be early in the game. The solution is to either modify the PCM calibration, which some have done. Or install a T fitting so both the OE and aftermarket sensor are in the circuit. I’ve been stalling on this one because I kind of made a mess of things. When I installed my Gen 3 Coyote, I found that Ford had changed the oil pressure sensor from NPT to M12x1.5 threads. The Speedhut oil pressure sensor is 1/8 NPT. So, thinking a metric to NPT adapter wouldn’t be easy to find, I removed the JR3Z-6881-A oil filter and oil pressure sender housing from the block (pretty easy, just four bolts) and tapped the metric hole to 1/4 NPT. Then used a 1/4 to 1/8 NPT adapter I had on hand and installed the Speedhut sensor. Thought I was being clever. But in hindsight was an incredibly dumb thing to do. Turns out the proper metric to NPT adapter is widely available. Just had to look, which I didn’t. Then when I ran the engine without the OE sensor started to get the error codes and the rest is history. So fast forward to now. Decided that rather than messing with the housing that I butchered I bought a new one. What’s another $100+ part at this point, right? Installed it the other day and started looking at options for a T fitting and the two sensors. Also talked to a couple other builders to see what they had done. I tried to keep it as simple as possible. Found a fitting on eBay that was M12x1.5 threads on each end (one male, one female) with a 1/8 NPT tap in the side. Perfect. But the 1/8 NPT was too close to the block to fit the large Speedhut sensor. So used a 1/8 NPT female to male 45-degree fitting from Summit. Today put things together and it worked. It’s a tight fight, and a little fiddly to get the angles right. Sanded on a crush washer to get the large fitting to clock into the right position. But now it’s installed. Cleared the codes. Ran my engine multiple times. No leaks. No codes. I hope this is fixed. This is what I installed. Speedhut sensor is the one at the top. The OE (smaller) one at the bottom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Edward, thanks for the great content! I've been following your progress on this build for some time now and was wondering if you could link to the "other forum" that you've mentioned above that includes the other more recent updates?

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
Hey Edward, thanks for the great content! I've been following your progress on this build for some time now and was wondering if you could link to the "other forum" that you've mentioned above that includes the other more recent updates?
This forum frowns on links to the other forum. So hope this works. Google "Factory Five Forum" (w/o the quotes) and the link should be the first result. My Coupe thread is in the Type 65 Coupe Build Threads discussion group.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
I haven't been updating this build thread for the reasons already mentioned. But thought I could close it out by saying the Coupe is 100% done and a graduation thread posted on the other forum. It's over there in the Type 65 Coupe discussion group. Coupe is legal, tuned, and has about 20 miles on it. Wish it were more but now parked with the complete lockdown here in Michigan. Initial impressions are very positive. But still very early. Obviously can't wait to drive it more. Check it out if you want to see a summary of the build and some pictures. Really happy and excited with how it turned out.

341 - 354 of 354 Posts