Factory Five Racing Forum banner

341 - 345 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #342 (Edited)
Note: This post has seven picture links from the gallery in the other forum. Same as all the other posts in this build thread. The links previously worked, but recently this forum has chosen to block links from that forum. I've reported it several times with no response. So have others. Pending a resolution, I won't be updating this build thread any further here. Kind of useless without pics. Too bad.

Around family visits over the holidays was able to get a few things further along. Then a couple quality days this week. While our oldest son was here, he helped me do the final installation on the side pipes and also final installation on the seats. Another set of hands for tasks like those sure make it easier. Especially when working around that freshly painted body. Before that, with some early mornings and late evenings, was able to get all the carpeting installed. In some ways, easier than the Roadster if you’re also doing the trunk since you’re basically doing the entire interior as one area. I used my standard Dap 00443 Weldwood Outdoor Carpet Adhesive for much of it, and DAP Weldwood Landau Top & Trim HHR Contact Cement for some of the smaller pieces. Both stick very well. But the carpet adhesive allows some repositioning which is critical for larger parts. Especially the giant floor piece. Can’t imagine doing that one with grabbing contact cement. I know a lot of guys use spray adhesive for the carpet, and that’s OK too. I just prefer these products. I have everything done except the folding door for the trunk box, so that’s missing in the pics.

Gas-N side pipes look fantastic. Took one wedge on each side to get them perfect. The kit supplied hangars worked fine after a small adjustment of the hole to the pipe tab.

Not too much of the carpet visible in the cockpit with the seats in. But it’s all there. I'll be adding Russ Thompson sill plates, trimmed a bit because I chose to wrap the carpet over the edge. Did that because (1) Hides the body mounting bolts, (2) Carpet goes under the door so looks better from the inside, and (3) Gives a softer place to rest your elbow when seated. Seems to fall about there for me.

Carpet inside the hatch area including the still open trunk box. Still need to trim the end of the wrapped shoulder straps. Waiting until I confirm the exact length on the seats and finalize the wraps.

Hung the doors and windows. With a little adjustment, fit perfectly. Really happy with how everything lines up.

Today I’m finishing up the door cards and other interior details. Not much left here. Door cards are held on with the door handles and 3M VHB double back tape. Had to remove one after I installed it (don’t ask…) and it holds just fine.

Few more days and items off my list, and I’ll get pics for my Autorama application. It won’t be 100% complete (e.g. mainly windshield not installed yet) but I need to get the application in by the deadline.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #344 (Edited)
Paul you can upload them into the thread just like on the other forum. That’s how I do it too.

Keep posting my friend.

John
Thanks, but no I'm not going to use two different methods. I spend quite a bit of time putting these posts together, and not going to add even more. The image gallery I was linking from worked fine until a few weeks ago when it was blocked with no explanation. I've been cutting and pasting the build thread on this forum basically as a favor to those who only come here. But the fact is it's getting only about 15% of the views compared to the other forum (372K vs. 59K). I see you're on the other forum. It's complete with pictures over there.

341 - 345 of 345 Posts