Factory Five Racing Forum banner

321 - 335 of 335 Posts

·
Premium Member
941 Posts
Wow! Looks fantastic. How is the masking working for the body on painting? I was thinking of trying this. Scott

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #323
Wow! Looks fantastic. How is the masking working for the body on painting? I was thinking of trying this. Scott
Hard to know exactly how to answer since I'm not actually doing the work. They've had to re-mask it three times, but that's pretty normal as you go through the major steps and need a clean start for each. Probably a little more work with more to protect body on. But that's how they wanted to do it. This shop has done probably 20 or so Roadsters. Some body on, some off. This is their first Coupe. Their concerns were (1) Getting the body back on in exactly the right place if removed for finishing, and (2) Without a body buck (which neither I or they have) the body is quite unstable off the chassis and would be hard to work on. They paint a bunch of custom cars at this shop, and of course body off is typically not even possible.

One other point from a builder's standpoint. I've talked about this a little in the build thread. The Coupe is a bit different than the Roadster. With the Roadster, basically all the aluminum panels are put on the bare chassis. Only a few need to be removed (e.g. splash guards, maybe radiator aluminum) to take the body on and off. The Coupe however has a number of pieces that per the instructions are put on after the body is on. Cockpit rear corners, trunk (hatch) sides, trunk (hatch) rear, fill pieces in front of the door hinges, fill pieces in the rear wheel wells, and of course splash guards. Those are the ones I remember. Most of those I was able to install before body on paint so that much less to mess with after paint. Some with insulation and carpet. After paint, the windshield is bonded in. Probably removable if you really forced things, but for these reasons I'm treating the body as on permanently now.

Having said that, places that do a bunch of these predominately will paint them body off. In the long run probably easier. But there are trade-offs. How's that for a fuzzy answer?

·
Registered
318 Posts
That's simply stunning!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #328
Can't have too many pictures, right? Wet sending and final polish happening. Color looks even better out of the booth as expected. Maybe home this week??? Hope so.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #330 (Edited)
Doesn't look like I'll get the Coupe back in my garage workshop this week. But as of today, promised for early next week. Final wet sand and polish is happening on the main body parts. Then a couple small parts to finish up (spoiler, mirrors, engine cover) then it's mine. Not anxious or anything. For those that haven't seen the process in detail, it's pretty crazy.

Base coat and clear in the booth (picture posted previously). This is where most production cars stop. If done properly, of course can be very nice. But the next steps take it to the next level that most of us are going for and typical for these builds:

Wet sanded with progressively finer paper until dead flat. A messy process:

Wet sanding done. A little scary looking, unless you're going for the flat or satin look, which I'm not:

Then polished, typically with three different grades of pads and compounds. Repeat all over until done.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Paul,

The colors are excellent. The white rear panel really looks perfect with your red.

Glen

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Visited the shop today. Getting close now. They said should be ready for pickup on Wednesday. Main body polish is done with just minor clean-up remaining. Nose piece and doors also getting final details. Mirrors and spoiler are painted just need polishing. Engine cover was being painted when I was there. These pictures aren't a lot different than ones posted previously, but here they are FWIW. Pretty sure I like it. :eek:

·
First Time Builder
264 Posts
Looking good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Drove to the shop today and brought the Coupe home. First time out for the new SE and worked great. The Coupe actually fits. Snowing off and on, and the coldest day of the year so far with the wind chill. But we got it done. Huge thanks to my friend Greg for keeping me company and lending a hand. The Coyote started right up after sitting there for two months (big surprise) and had no issues driving it in and back out of the trailer. Needless to say, I’m really pleased with the paint. Should be since a Coupe isn’t cheap to paint as I’ve now found out. Especially to this level. But it’s done and that’s behind me. It’s a little dusty but not terrible. Tomorrow will get it up on the lift, cleaned up a bit, and start final assembly. Need to get it far enough along to take some decent pictures for my Autorama submission. Then completely done by the end of February for the show. After that, will start the title and registration process so it’s ready to drive by spring.

First couple pictures are at the shop. Bolted on the prototype side pipes back and put the nose back on. First time it had been together since early body work. Drew its first crowd. Looks amazing. Leaving the doors off until the interior is done. Way easier to work on plus helps prevents any damage.

Couple hours later, unloaded and safely back in the home shop. The sun was shining a bit when we loaded it onto the trailer. The color looks a little brighter and really pops in the sun. These pictures in general are a bit darker than it looks in natural light and especially in the sun. But you get the idea. The engine cover turned out great and does the best it can to clean up that busy Gen 3 Coyote engine compartment.

Tomorrow will start digging in.

321 - 335 of 335 Posts