Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Charter Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was looking to replace my valve covers with taller classic 289 style and I am toying with the idea of adding roller rockers to a stock '87 5.0 that has a Edelbrock manifold and carb-style EFI. Not looking to change the cam or lifters as I'm keeping it mild. Any experience for what is involved and what works?

·
Premium Member
17,871 Posts
Waste of money. Roller tips are used on high lift cams to control side loading of the valve stem. Side loading increases friction and prematurely wears the stems, guides, and seals.

On a stock engine, you'll see no change with a roller tip.

You can get a slight power increase by installing a slightly longer rocker arm. Say that your stock ratio is 1:6. If you increase that to 1:7, it would be like installing a cam with about 3-4* more duration. You also get a little more lift, which might be helpful. Or might cause the valve to hit the piston.

Reactions: CNIDog2

·
Registered
387 Posts
These are roller rockers,
These are roller tip rockers

·
Junior Charter Member
669 Posts
1.7 roller rockers are a popular upgrade on 80’s 5.0 HO engines with the stock cam.
Not sure what they accomplish on a non-HO engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Charter Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1.7 roller rockers are a popular upgrade on 80’s 5.0 HO engines with the stock cam.
Not sure what they accomplish on a non-HO engine.

I'm just looking for a simple upgrade. The marketing stuff says the roller fulcrum makes for a smoother engine and a little more HP. My engine is a 1987 stock 5.0 HO out of a Mustang Cobra. Got rid of the stock EFI and went with a FiTech on a Edelbrock Performer RPM and a better distributor.

·
Premium Member
17,871 Posts
By listening or by driving, there are very few people that can tell the difference. In theory, a roller tip and roller fulcrum is better for a variety of reasons. But the truth is, on an essentially stock street engine, you'll never know the difference. No real bang for the buck there. Spend $150 on something worthwhile.

·
Junior Charter Member
669 Posts
1.7 rockers will be a good upgrade, although a camshaft would be just as good.

The only benefit of 1.6 roller rockers will be a weight reduction due to a Lighter wallet.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,041 Posts
Engine Masters has an episode testing different rockers. It confirms what Bob is telling you.

A lot of the roller rockers are heavy and lifter control becomes an issue at high rpm.

·
Junior Charter Member
28 Posts
The only thing roller rockers will do for you on a cam with under 270 degrees duration is it will reduce oil temp. My endurance race car saw about 7-10F reduction but we run that engine 270+F oil. We are baking it its own juice like a turkey. The result unfortunately is not nearly as delicious.

I'm making these assumptions:
Stock cam 5.0ho or P motor ( e,f,b cam too )
Stock 5/16 pedestal mounting.
Stock type heads.
Stock 1.6 ratio.

If you want rockers to make power for you you need a good reason:

Cam with agressive ramp rates that can benefit from additional stiffness.

Rockers with higher ratio. ( Which is indeed changing the cam profile at the valve )

·
FFCobra Craftsman
23,051 Posts
I have seen too many threads where roller rockers came apart so I have no interest. I ran CompCams steel roller tip rockers though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts