Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second issue with Edlebrocks QC dept. The first time I bought a new Air Gap intake and there was a hole in the casting underneith where the carb mounterd. I'm serious a hole where it was cast, if my son hadn't caught it that would have been a nightmare to figure out, who would be looking for a hole in the manifold??!! Yesterday I bought a Thunder carb from Summit and today went to install it. I went to remove the intake fitting to install the Edlebrock 90 degree elbow with filter and I discovered the fitting was cross threaded. That elbow/filter puts the point where you connect the fuel line way to far out towards the firewall, so I don't want to use it. I put the barb fitting back on the carb with some sealant and took these pics. It seems to seal up o.k. but I think I should return the carb and get a new one.

How does this fuel line routing look? It's hard to see from the pics but the fuel line is almost a foot from the header. The only issue I see is if I install it this way there is no filter. I like the idea of a second finer filter before the carb. Maybe I could get a smaller 90 degree banjo fitting that is maybe an inch or two long? As far as the carb goes I would be worried about removing that fitting since it's still cross threaded?

[ March 18, 2007, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Scalded Dog ]

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Make sure to leave enough slack in the fuel line to allow for engine movement / rocking under throttle unless you have solid motor mounts. Keep the fuel line completely unstressed. If you use a secondary filter make the connection away from the headers so if it leaks it won't start a fire. Sorry to hear of your parts issues.

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
I think that's too close to the headers. If you get stuck in traffic on a warm day, vapor lock will be an issue.

It will also get in the way if you need to remove the headers.

·
Junior Charter Member
104 Posts
Edelbrock makes a nice banjo fitting and bolt to bring the fuel line off the carb at a 90 degree angle. The angle is adjustable, straight down, back or up. It brings the line off right next to the carb...no clearence problems. It is a barbed type fitting however. But it is up under the air cleaner. That way you can run the fuel line down the back if the engine away from the headers.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob,
It's really not as close as it looks. Looks at my 2nd pic...it's exactly 7" below the header. I have that 90 degree fitting, but it puts the end where the braided line connects in mid-air out next to the firewall. I need a much shorter 90 degree banjo fitting or even a short straight one.

·
2,860 Posts
Is there a possibility that someone else cross threaded the carb/fitting and returned it to the vendor. Then you got it sent to you by the vendor? Happens all the time. :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had some issues with an Edelbrock 750 carb, It ended up being a problem with the casting. Edelbrock was no help. They did not want to be bothered with it. This was after I spent some serious money with them on another motor. I'm sorry to say I will be sending my business elsewhere from now on. You are not the only person with quality issues. Good luck.

·
2,746 Posts
Dog,

I personally would send it back to Summit, I got my new Holley last year and UPS had pranged it and bent the body. Summit took it back with no problem and shipped a new one.

I've heard some stories on this forum regarding tuning of the Edelbrock carbs vs. Holley, for what it's worth.

Chris.

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, I'll take it back. Summit has been great to deal with. Hopefully they'll exchange it. I like Edlebrock stuff, but they need to do better with their quality control.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
I have had to return several items to Summit never with any problems. Those carbs work fine if sized properlly like any other. Probally the most difficult part to tuning these carbs if needed comes from the fact most who have carb experience,have it with Holley type carbs and not the AFB,eld. type carbs. There's just more info out there with holley carbs compared to these carbs. For the most part once set,these carbs run great on the street.
Russ I would do whats needed to add a filter before the carb. More headaches have been caused by a piece of dirt causing a float to stick and spill gas from the carb on new builds. Keep in mind with all new tank and lines the first time fuel flows thru so does some dirt/trash. A easy to get at fuel filter helps alot here.

·
Charter Member
858 Posts
Hey Russ,

I have an Edelbrock carb, it has a rare thread 18tpi when npt is 20tpi, so cross threading would be easy! Here is my setup.

I had a big problem with my Edelbrock heads, I spoke to their Techs BEFORE I ordered and the valves, ended up, hit my pistons. They were great in taking care of me and getting me the right parts.

You can see my braided stainless fuel line behind the wireing.

If it's cross threaded, get a new one!

Good luck my friend!
Rich

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HS, Thanks as always. I spoke to Summit and they will take it back. I will add the second filter too.

Rich, I like the fuel line routing. I was looking at that tonight. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.