Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDITED - NEW PASSENGER SIDE PIC AT THE COLLECTOR ADDED BELOW.

Below are some pics to help illustrate, but my body is on and all the mounting holes are lined up and bolted down including front and rear overriders. Installed my sidepipes last night and I have some problems with gaps. On the passenger side, the pipe hugs the body nicely and that gap is OK, but the body sits up way high over the collector - a good three inches or so - see pic below. On the driver's side the pipe sticks out from the body too much - about 2 inches at the outlet end, and the gap over the collector is also about 3 inches - it looks way too much. In both cases, the mounting angle - the mount line relative to the ground - seems real good. They are both pretty straight. On top of all that, the gap over the two front wheels is pretty tight at this point and I hesitate to lower the ride height anymore - see pics. Last bit of info - I had to use extra thick Remflex header gaskets to get them to seal, but that shouldn't have made that much difference.

OK, what to do? Should I shim the motormount at the block using grade 8 washers to raise the engine? Can I try to puch the engine/tranny assembly over a little to try to even out the pipe to body gaps along the side? I could really use some ideas - want it to look right. Thanks, guys.

Passenger side gap at collector.

NEW PIC OF PASSENGER SIDE - FROM STRAIGHT ON>

Passenger side gap along the side.

Passenger side tire to body gap.

Driver's side gap at collector.

Driver's side gap along the side.

Driver's side tire gap.

[ March 22, 2007, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Mark L. Warner ]

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
A friend had a similar issue, I think you should contact FFR, the 4 into 4 pipes are your problem. The passenger one is about an inch too far forward by the look of it.

We took back the 4 into 4's that we had and got another set which fitted better.

The 4 into 4 pipes are your issue

·
4,342 Posts
Did they fit properly before removing the body for paint?

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Install the splash panel on the passenger side before you do anything. Shift the trans to even out the gaps. In the 9 years we have done FFR stuff, only twice did we send back pipes. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just realized that the passenger side picture of the collector is a bit at an angle. I will try to post another pic there.

Jim - I did not fit the body before paint. I know... you're supposed to do that. I did not.
Richard - the splash panel is already in there. If I shift the trans over a bit that will help even out the side gaps for sure. How do I deal with the gap over the collector? Can you shim the motor mounts?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Shim the engine up to even out the up/down. Move the trans side to side to even out the front/back. You are only going to have to move the trans 1/8" to 1/4" at the most.
The vertical issue will be more involved, depending on how high you want to raise it. Should have fixed it prior to finish assy.
I have a different engine, but I used a few washers between the block and motor mount to help line up my pipes.

·
Administrator
7,013 Posts
What is the vertical height of the from tires? It looks like they are ~24-25 inches. I know my 245/60/15's are 26-something. A taller tire would help...

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Convincor - thanks for the link. Great idea and great product. I just orderd some. I think I will still try to move the trans anyway to give more room at the cut-out.

Jeff - I have learned my lesson for next time around, but for this time it's too late. I like the shim idea - I had thought of that, too, it's just that I have about a 2 1/2" - 3" gap between the side pipe collector and the cut-out. How am I going to make up that much ground? I would probably need to shim a good inch. Is that safe?

David - my tire height is 24.25" and I have 17 inch rims. I will look to see if I can find a taller front tire. I wonder if it would be a direct gain in terms of reducing the up/down gap.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Changing tires or ride height isn't going to change the relationship between the sidepipes and the body.

RR

·
Jack of all trades
1,230 Posts
Mark:

I just put the body back on my car, and have a similar problem on the driver's side - the header is too far forward. It is forward on the passenger side too, but not enough to be of concern.

One thing I notice about your cut outs is that they are huge compared to the ones on my car. That may be a bit of the reason why it looks way out.

Just a thought, but have you tried to loosen all the header bolts and see how much slack is in the bolt holes? That may bring it back a bit.

Tom

·
Charter Member
1,117 Posts
Mark,

I would confirm that you don't have headers for a 351 tall deck block. I expect that is what 351 headers would look like on a 302 block since they angle down more and would create a large gap.

Eric

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Are you sure those aren't headers for a 351?
They'd look just about right if the block was about an inch taller.
Is there a part number on them somewhere?

·
5,470 Posts
It looks like in the pics you don't have the hangers attached to the side pipes. Mine were way out of whack before I put those on, the tips were about 1-2" out further from the body. I loosely bolted the pipe to the headers (not even snugged down). Then installed the hanger and tightened it down, then went back and tightened the bolts on the header/sidepipe. That straightened mine right out. If you don't have the hangers on, I really think you should attach them and see how it looks then.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Arctic - I have a pre-cut body, so those cut-outs were done by FFR at the factory. But your comment and those from Forrest and Buckeye have something to them. I talked to Mark at Breeze and he mentioned that as well. Lastly, I emailed FFR and Bob told me he forwarded the issue to his contact at Hooker headers. We are going to see if in fact I do have 351 headers on there. I'll report back when I know more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts