Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this has around but where can I find tuning info and a tuning kit with different springs and rods? I have a 1411 750 cfm carb on a vic jr 408 ci 9.5 to 1 cr. I have ordered a pressure reg even though I have a mech fuel pump but the air fuel mix is so rich it will fowl plugs in about 30 sec. The cam has 610 lift at 280 dur. Any direction would be a help.
Thanks Greg

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Quick fix would be a Holley or Demon

·
Charter Member
132 Posts
Edelbrocks website has the tuning info for each of their carbs. You can get the tuning kits for Advanced Auto parts. I think they're around $50. Includes springs, rods, etc for your particular carb. The tuning is pretty simple. No need to remove the carb to change springs or rods.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Before you assume it's the carb, what's your timing set at? I set my timing by getting the initial around 15 to get the car running. Then, set your idle to 3000 rpm and time it so you have 36 degrees BTD. Drop your idle back down and see where it rests. That usually gets you in the ballpark, although a dyno tune to recurve your dizzy is best.

Once your timing is set, then you can start fiddling with the carb, but not before. Edelbrock states that for every 2000 feet of elevation, you should jet down one size. Rather than buy the whole jet kit, I'd look at their chart and buy the jets and metering rods for your elevation.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it possible that I'am getting too much fuel pressure. I have a high volume pump taged "CV". I have set the timing to 14 to start 35 at 3000rpm settles down to 14 at 950 rpm.The motor ran ok with a 1000cfm Barry Grant and a 685 lift cam but not on the street. I may go to a Holly but which one, it was suggested to go with the edlebrock for street use.
Thanks Greg

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The edelbrock is a fine carb and runs just as well as any other carb out of the box. (I'm sure the holley guys will flame me for that one, but I've run both and have a holley now). Your fuel pressure should be between 5 and 7 psi. Any more than that, the fuel pressure will over power the valves and over fill the fuel bowls causing a rich condition. On the other hand, I can't imagine a mechanical fuel pump would put out too much pressure.

If you put in new fuel lines, especially braided, and didn't blow them out with an air gun or run water through them, you could have gotten some of the "dust" from cutting the line in the float valves causing it to over fill the bowls because the valve is stuck and your floats can't do their job. The easiest fix I found for that on an edelbrock is to pull the top off the carb and tap gently with your finger on the float bowl valve. It should move easily and that action alone sometimes releases the crap out of the valve. Others have had to clean out the valve really well with carb cleaner to get it from sticking. It's usually best to have a fuel filter between the carb and fuel pump to prevent such problems.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had the same trouble with my 1411.I had let the car sit for a while and the carb got fouled up. The loading up stopped,but I was never able to get it to perform the way I wanted with a big cam.I went to a Holley,and it really woke up.I have nothing against the 1411,but I think they do better on stock to mild engines.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Not my first choice in carbs for that engine but it should still work.
First check the float to be sure it's not set too high or needle is leaking.
Out of the box it should run ok with just a idle mixture adjustment and fine tuned from there.
Check the floats.
Set the mixture screws.
check to be sure no vacum leaks are present.
Mechanical pump should not need a regulator.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went to order the tuning kit for the 1411 carb and there are two. One is for electric choke the other for manual choke. The manual kit part # 1480 contains many more parts than the electric kit part # 1489 question is what is the difference in the carb weather it is electrical on manual and for $5.00 more would it be better to get the manual with the extra parts
Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.