Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have pics of how they ran their ebrake cables?
on the PS there's enough room to run it behind the shocks and over the axle on the way to the bracket in the frame.
on the DS there's not enough length to run it this way.
The natural path of the cable coming out of the caliper is to go backward behind the shock, but on the DS I ran it in front of the axle, making a bit of an acute bend coming out of the caliper.
also, what should I be attaching the cable to? there's not much in the area that I can secure the cable to.
on the PS I was going to zip tie it to the upper link for the 3 link suspension. I'm assuming that everything in the rear moves with the axle and it's going to be hard to find an area to secure these cables yet leave enough slack for the movement of the rear axle.

fyi
i've got a 8.8 moser 3 link with the upgraded rear disk brake (t bird caliper) set up.
I'm also planning on doing the pulley mod with lokar clevis.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so no takers on my question. Here are some pics in how I have things currently laid out. Feel free to critique. I think there's enough slack in the DS cable to secure it to the underside of the rectangular frame of the trunk.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I've done two solid axle builds, and never routed the e-brake cables in front of the axle like that. IMO makes a sharp bend at the caliper connection that's not necessary. My experience is they route under the axle and loop around under the tank area and up with no issue. If the cable(s) are too short for this path then you might have the wrong cable(s). Tried to find a decent picture (I don't have either around in more) and this was the best I could find. Don't get too crazy about tying them down. The entire axle assemble moves quite a bit as you said. If attached at the caliper and then somewhere in the range of the rear cable mounts, it's OK. The cables themselves are pretty stiff.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done two solid axle builds, and never routed the e-brake cables in front of the axle like that. IMO makes a sharp bend at the caliper connection that's not necessary. My experience is they route under the axle and loop around under the tank area and up with no issue. If the cable(s) are too short for this path then you might have the wrong cable(s). Tried to find a decent picture (I don't have either around in more) and this was the best I could find. Don't get too crazy about tying them down. The entire axle assemble moves quite a bit as you said. If attached at the caliper and then somewhere in the range of the rear cable mounts, it's OK. The cables themselves are pretty stiff.

I have no issues on the PS but the DS cable is a bit tight if I'm running it under the axle and behind the shock. The cable almost want to go between the springs of the shocks. I'm assuming the springs will never fully compress but wasn't sure if this would be an issue.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I have no issues on the PS but the DS cable is a bit tight if I'm running it under the axle and behind the shock. The cable almost want to go between the springs of the shocks. I'm assuming the springs will never fully compress but wasn't sure if this would be an issue.
You need a routing that doesn't put the cable in the overrider springs. Definitely not a good idea.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'll try running the DS cable under the axle and in front of the springs tonight. might buy me some extra length.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Attached are a few pics from my build. I agree with edwardb - your cable is too short. I used stock 1995 (SN95) Mustang cables.

Attachments

·
Not a waxer
11,559 Posts
Yeah, sounds like you may be dealing with cables that are too short---which is surprising because I generally wind up shortening them. Anyway, on straight axle cars I always run the cables through the upper bushing "ears" and secure them using a tapered rubber stopper with a hole in the center which is siliconed into the opening:

With them running up high like this they can easily make a gentle 180 degree bend and run between the coilover and axle on to the calipers:

Hope that helps!

Jeff

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PS cable seems to have plenty of length. Since the mounting bracket is on the PS, the DS cable is a bit of a stretch. Running it under the axle and in front of the coil over will work, but I need to zip tie it to the small diagonal 3/4 tube to get clearance from the spring. Running it behind the spring is a bit tight, leaving the cable touching the bottom of the shocks. I think I'll go with the routing in the final 2 pics with a zip tie

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, sounds like you may be dealing with cables that are too short---which is surprising because I generally wind up shortening them. Anyway, on straight axle cars I always run the cables through the upper bushing "ears" and secure them using a tapered rubber stopper with a hole in the center which is siliconed into the opening:

With them running up high like this they can easily make a gentle 180 degree bend and run between the coilover and axle on to the calipers:

Hope that helps!

Jeff
Thanks for the pics. My moser rear end doesn't have these holes, otherwise great option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts