Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this yesterday reading a 4 wheel drive magazine. The Eaton ELocker. Using al electromagnet and electronic switching gear, it converts a standard differential to a spool. Appareantly, it's the same thing as an Air Locker, but it's electronic. That eliminates the compressor, lines and holding tank. Wow. What a cool idea. A spool is the ultimate in two wheel traction. http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod1.htm

The application guide lists the truck 8.8 differential. Is there a significant differance between the car and truck 8.8? And what about the IRS pumpkin?

My other thought was, does it only fit an open differential? Or can it be used with a LSD? Interesting thought here.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,626 Posts
If you look further down the page you link to it shows the carrier in action. In short it is an open differential carrier than can lock. You can compare this to the Trac Tech Trutrac which is a gear driven limited slip. Trac Tech modified it to be an electric locker as well, limited slip true locker on demand. Unfortunately, the ElectraTrac(?) is only available for the Dana 44 or Dana 60.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,021 Posts
It replaces the whole carrier. There is another e-locker out there that switches from a LS to a locker, it may not be out for 8.8s Car and truck 8.8s are the same just may be diffrent spline counts. Why would you want a full locker anyway. The factory trac lok works pretty well. I could see some diffrent carriers being better on the road course. But I don't see what a full lock will really give you.

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about it because it would be the ultimate in strength and traction.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
boB, make sure they make it for the IRS (I'd be surprised if they do) there's some differences on the side gears between a solid axle 8.8 and an IRS 8.8 carrier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts