Factory Five Racing Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Successfully titled in Florida

Was able to get my FFR MK4 titled today in Citrus County. Thanks to those for posting helpful forms, information, and experiences here! The clerk was unfamiliar with this classification of vehicle, so it was helpful to have the rules/laws printed out and in hand. She questioned a bit how it could be a replica if I "built it". And if it came complete or in boxes/pieces, etc. And she wondered if it needed inspection by their compliance officer (in Tampa). I was beginning to worry at this point. I patiently explained to her the replica designation and the experience of others who had titled FFR cars in Florida (and in that same office). Finally got her comfortable with replica classification. Then she questioned the weight of 950 shown on MSO. I suggested the finished weight of 2150 to her based on FFR specs. She left the desk for a LONG time, then returned, and said we would go with the weight I suggested. Regarding mileage, I told her 0000006 based on go-karting I have done to this point. She was fine with that and that is what is on the title. So - Year: 1965 Manufacturer: FFR Body type: 2D (I know some have RD here). And on Title, Primary Brand is "Replica". Does this sound typical with the info you your title (for those that are titled in Florida)?

Thanks,

Mike / Gatorguy

·
Lifetime Journeyman
1,143 Posts
Mike, it sounds like you did OK. Some have needed weight slips,others haven't. The clerk who handled mine 2 years ago had no experience with replica titles, either, but thanks to Mark's instructions, it all went well. She took the 950 lbs off the MCO - and I didn't argue. Everything else you describe on your title sounds right, too. Congrats.

·
Junior Charter Member
82 Posts
Question about the VIN Identification

Am about to go to the DMV to see about title and registration in Tampa. On the form 82040 there's a section (Section 8 Motor Vehicle Identification Number Verification) that looks like the VIN needs to be physically inspected and this section notarized.

Did you guys just skip this section? or does this section get filled out (and notarized in the DMV by whomever you're dealing with?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I had it verified by an LEO. It just so happened he was a forum member with a Mk4 so that helped, but if you know somebody with a badge, it passed no problem. I don't think there would have been anybody to physically inspect it at the title shop I actually went to either.

·
Lifetime Journeyman
1,143 Posts
Am about to go to the DMV to see about title and registration in Tampa. On the form 82040 there's a section (Section 8 Motor Vehicle Identification Number Verification) that looks like the VIN needs to be physically inspected and this section notarized.

Did you guys just skip this section? or does this section get filled out (and notarized in the DMV by whomever you're dealing with?
The third sentence under section 8 states, " COMPLETE THIS SECTION ON ALL USED MOTOR VEHICLES,..." If you're building the car, it's a new car with an MCO, so that section can be skipped. I skipped it, went to the MVA office in the county tax collector's office, no problems.

·
Junior Charter Member
82 Posts
Thanks for the responses...Excellent point Alan, I missed the reference to the used motor vehicles...

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Alan is correct, there's no need for a VIN inspection because, technically, the car does not have a VIN until the state of FL accepts the MCO and paperwork for the number stamped on the car, which then becomes the VIN on the originating "new car" title you get with the replica titling laws.

HTH...
Mark

·
Junior Charter Member
82 Posts
5312 is legal

Finally got around to taking my documentation to the tax office today. Went to the Tampa office on Waters. In and out in 30 mins! Registered as a "1965 FFRI 2D". No problems with the weight being 950 - the only challenge being the mileage - I had it at 45 actual, but since the MCO didn't have any mention of mileage, the lady could only accept it as "not actual miles". I decided not to get into an argument on why the MCO couldn' show mileage. She did allow me to get the antique place so I was ok with the not actual miles on the title...no mention of replica on the title doc! Tax was based on the FFR invoice, so all-in-all it was a pleasant experience. Thanks to Mustang Man for starting this thread and making this an easy process.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Nice to hear another one is through the process without issues. Wow, had no idea my sister car (only two chassis numbers away) was right here in central Florida too!

Mark

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Finally got around to taking my documentation to the tax office today. Went to the Tampa office on Waters. In and out in 30 mins! Registered as a "1965 FFRI 2D". No problems with the weight being 950 - the only challenge being the mileage - I had it at 45 actual, but since the MCO didn't have any mention of mileage, the lady could only accept it as "not actual miles". I decided not to get into an argument on why the MCO couldn' show mileage. She did allow me to get the antique place so I was ok with the not actual miles on the title...no mention of replica on the title doc! Tax was based on the FFR invoice, so all-in-all it was a pleasant experience. Thanks to Mustang Man for starting this thread and making this an easy process.
Congratulations on this last, but very important step. Putting a plate on the car is a great feeling isn't it? When you're up to it give me a call. I'd like to see the finished product.

Jeff

·
Registered
245 Posts
Filling out Form 82042 Application for Title. Section 2, Motor Vehicle Description, ask's for a vehicle ID. Since technically there is no VIN what should be put in this section? Thanks for any help.
Rob

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nevermind. Went down to the Delray Motor Vehicle office today and got everything done in 30 minutes. No problems of any kind.:yes:

·
Registered
189 Posts
2nd time is a charm

After a failed first attempt, because I did not emphasize that I built the car, I am now legal.

Thanks to information on this thread.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Congrats More1!

Yup, it's VERY important you come in knowing more about the process than them, yet be polite and state/reaffirm that you are there to title a REPLICA. That's what the SEMA titling law allows. You're not cheating the system or lying, but often having to explain/show the DMV employee the process/steps yourself.

Enjoy!
Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
My son just titled his roadster..
Went to Ft Pierce tax collector office. I had a previous conversation with Carmen at this office about doing it. She was giving DL tests so we had to wait for her to finish this.
Time at window -----26 minutes
Time she spent with supervisor-----10 minutes
Went with the paperwork listed above, his MCO had 1597 as weight which they took, put mileage as 0001, wrote a check for sales tax and instant print of title, and was on our way out of there.
They titled it for him using his out of state address (NY)!
I can say even at my advanced age, this is the MOST painless DMV experience I've ever had.
Jerry

·
Registered
1 Posts
818??

Guys, I'm a newbee at this, so I apologize in advance for asking dumb questions. I'm interested in the new 818, street version, and live in Tampa, FL. I want to make sure I understand the titling process before I start. Is the process the same for this model? Is it still a replica? I can see it for the cobra or similar, but the 818 is not really a replica of anything, is it? Apparently it uses a lot of parts, (but not the frame?!?), from a Subaru WMX 2002-2007. So do I try to keep the title from the Subaru or get it titled as a replica or a "kitcar"? What are the advantages of replica over kitcar? I have lots more options in buying a donor car if I don't need a title from it--"salvage", "destroyed", insurance writeoff, etc. I sent an email to FFR and they suggested keeping the Subaru's title.....

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
The new 818 would be handled in the same way as the GTM Supercar from FFR-as an ASPT (assembled from parts) title. You will have to keep your receipts showing where the body, frame, engine, and transmission came from, with serial numbers, and then have the assembled/completed vehicle inspected and issued a FL VIN sticker. The inspection station for central Florida is Hillsborough Ave just west of the I-4 interchange (it's in an old mall).

HTH...
Mark

·
Junior Charter Member
2,915 Posts
Successful registration - Jax Beach

I just went this morning to the Tax Collectors office on Altantic Blvd. In and out in less than 45 minutes with an antique plate in hand and 1965 title on the way!!!

I had the following paperwork:
Certificate of Origin
HSMV 82040 "application for a title"
Florida instructions TL-48 "Application for certificate of Title for a replica motor vehicle"
FFR invoice.
Proof of insurance.
Printout of FFR "completed vehicle specs" from the MKIV brochure. They used this to get the weight. I actually put 2150 on the form. The brochure says 2250, but they used 2150.

I had the Florida form TL-06 "mandatory use designations and brands on Florida certificates of title with me, but is was not needed. There was no "kit car" vs replica discussion at all.

I have been to this office twice and it is BY FAR the best DMV experiences I have ever had.

Thanks Mustang Man and everyone else that has given infromation on this thread.

·
Lifetime Journeyman
1,143 Posts
"Successful registration - Jax Beach"

Congrats! Maybe not quite as exciting as the first start, but a very good feeling. This thread has helped MANY of us go through the process with little aggravation. Did your clerk have experience with replicas? Seems most don't.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,915 Posts
"Successful registration - Jax Beach"
Did your clerk have experience with replicas? Seems most don't.
None at all. I handed her the instructions, and she just went right through it. I think twice she went to a supervisor for a question. One was the tax portion, not sure on the other one. It was a breeze thanks to everyone here.

101 - 120 of 135 Posts