Factory Five Racing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just found this thread...its great. I have the MCO but its in my son's name. Due to life getting in his way I've been tasked with finishing his car.
He lives in NY and I'm here in FL and I think titling/registering would be much easier here. Do you think FFR would reissue a MCO in either in both our names or can he just sign the back of the original? I'll go to DMV on Monday and see what they say. Looking forward to any help or comments.
Jerry Monaghan

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Sorry Jerry, just seeing this today. I don't think FFR reissues MCOs except for extreme cases, and it would surely still be in your son's name. Let us know what the DMV tells you...

Mark

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any one else run into an issue with this being a 'specialty title request'? I filled out the paper work in the original post and brought it to my local DMV in Bradenton. They said they couldn't do it there because it is a 'specialty title request'. I had to drive to another branch and drop off the paper work and wait 2 days. Tomorrow is day 2 and I'm worried because the lady refused to look at the paperwork to make sure it was complete because it's 'drop off only'!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Finally got may plate. I was even able to get a sweet vanity plate, F5 C0BRA. One tip, make sure you call the DMV and ask if they do specialty titles for replicas. The first one I went to didn't. You also need everything filled out ahead of time because it's considered 'drop off only'. It took them two full days to process. Also I had to put that it had 1 mile, they wouldn't accept 0 and I had to check the 'doesn't reflect actual millage' box.

·
Baghdad Bob
866 Posts
GOOD FL DMV's vs Not a clue

Finally got may plate. I was even able to get a sweet vanity plate, F5 C0BRA. One tip, make sure you call the DMV and ask if they do specialty titles for replicas. The first one I went to didn't. You also need everything filled out ahead of time because it's considered 'drop off only'. It took them two full days to process. Also I had to put that it had 1 mile, they wouldn't accept 0 and I had to check the 'doesn't reflect actual millage' box.
Looking for a vote here, looks like:

Green Cove Springs,
Lakeland (off of Lake Parker Dr.) and
Sarasota
are ok, I am in a small town near Daytona (DeBary) and am willing to travel to an "easy to work with" DMV to make this easy. I have been sitting on the paperwork for a year, have insurance and MCO.

·
Baghdad Bob
866 Posts
Bad Experience at Lakeland Tag Agency

Today, i went to the tag agency in lakeland FL at 930 East Parker st. I decide to drive to another county since I had heard on here that several people had good experiences there.

I asked my local Tag agency here in Volusia county and they had never done one and said they thought they "could probably figure it out".

I decided to drive to Polk county and go to this other tag agency cause of the positive results posted here.

I had my MSO,
Bill of Sale
Insurance papers
Factory Five Serial Number Plate
HSMV 82040 Title Application (filled in)
I also brought these docs printed form the Florida tag agency site
TL-06 Mandatory use designations and brands on Florida Certificates of Title
TL-48 Application for Certificte of Title for a Replica Vehicle.

I told the woman that I wanted to apply for a Replica vehicle and she frowned and said she had never heard of that. I explained to her what it was, showed her all my docs including the Florida instructions.

She took the MSO and left said she had to call Talahassee on the procedures and later came back and said they had to fax the MSO to Talahassee, that is the Florida State Gov't HQ.

WHen she came back she said they do not have a procedure on how to title a Replica vehicle therefore it would fall under "Kit Car". I showed her the docs explaining the procedure and she would not read it, she stated again. Its a Kit Car and we don't do those here.

Then she gave me a card form the Tampa District 6 Tag agency person named Terry Miller at and district agency in Tampa and said I'd have to call that person, and ask him where this could be processed.

I wasted several hours and don't feel thay my request was taken seriously and don't believe she looked for the procedure nor did she ask. There was another woman she talked to but I left.

I wasted several hours driving 140 miles round trip.

I will call the fellow in Tampa next week as it was nearly 5 pm when I left the tag agency office.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just got mine registered today in Osceola county. The main office told me that the MCO FFR provided was not the proper one needed to register a vehicle. The clerk told me it was not printed on the correct paper and didn't have the proper security features. Appearently he thought I made it myself. Went to a smaller branch office in town and walked out with a tag. It all depends on who you get I guess.

·
Baghdad Bob
866 Posts
FFR 7287 Is legal

I decided to go to the tag agency here in Sanford on 1st street. I was sent there before as they are full service.

Lisa S. Took care of everything, asked questions of her supervisor when she coiuldn't figure it out. Title and tag will be mailed to me and I got a cool speciality plate too "FF Cobra".

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just got my comp kit. I have all the paperwork. So does the car have to be comp to get a title ? Do they inspect it ? Also i heard Midwest insurance will insure the kit to comp. Has anyone used them.
Its alot of money sitting in my garage.
Joe

·
Baghdad Bob
866 Posts
title and tagging in Florida

Joe,

I was in the same boat, wanted insurance and all the papers legal. SHort answer, NO, it does not have to be complete, and if you get Insurance, you can get a Title and a TAG now. with this caveot (you must find a Tag AGency that is willing to do it, and will figure it out) The part about putting REPLICA on the title as well as FFR and the manufacturer confuses them. DO not title it as a "Kit Car", it is a replica. As such you can even get a Florida antique plate if you desire.

Got my Kit July 2010, still being assembled, got ins thru Midwest Classic, very reasonable.

tried to get it done at Tag agency in Longwood FL, had all the paperwork but she said they did not do them there.

Went to a Tag agency here in Sanford, it took me 40 minutes. I took the following:

1. cert of origin or MSO,
2. Insurance papers
3. FFR Invoice.
4. Florida instructions TL-48 "Application for certificate of Title for a replica motor vehicle",
5. Florida form TL-06 "mandatory use designations and brands on Florida certificates of title"
6. HSMV 82040 "application for a title" filled out, as per instructions TL-48, and 1 mile stated on odo.

They questioned why it said it weighed 960 lbs, i explained that it would weigh approx 2100 lbs so she put 2400 lbs.

The tltle already arrived after abt 10 days and I ordered a speciality plate "FF COBRA" which is still in process.

I have heard that some tag agencies want you to get the car either weighed or inspected, if you go thru the process first and if they want that, just walk out.

I dealt with Lisa S. and she was very interested it doing it correct and asked her supervisor a couple questions.

If you want a specialty plate, there is a place in the florida tag site that you can check one that you would like to use. This site will allow you to check a Tag to see if it is available for FLorida Speciality Tags.

https://services.flhsmv.gov/MVCheckPersonalPlate/

·
5.4 32V enthusiast
23 Posts
I do not suggest going to the Bradenton/Palmetto DMV for anything.
They seem to be power hungry or something, do not follow the statutes,
and generally make things up as they go along.
I had to contact my local Congresswoman (Trudi Williams)
in order for the DMV to do their job.
I wound up getting my BIW Cobra inspected at West Palm Beach,
as I was in Boca at the time.

·
Baghdad Bob
866 Posts
I do not suggest going to the Bradenton/Palmetto DMV for anything.
They seem to be power hungry or something, do not follow the statutes,
and generally make things up as they go along.
I had to contact my local Congresswoman (Trudi Williams)
in order for the DMV to do their job.
I wound up getting my BIW Cobra inspected at West Palm Beach,
as I was in Boca at the time.
I did not have to get my car inspected, nor did i need a weight slip, they estimated it would weigh 2400 lbs, sweet !

·
5.4 32V enthusiast
23 Posts
That's awesome, what I had to go through, well, I would not wish it on anyone.
The WPB inspection station, I was in and out in 45 minutes.
I did have to redo some paperwork though,
as it was 2010 when I applied, and 2011 when it was inspected.
I sent Trudi Williams a thank you note, and she responded.
A real class act and public servant.

·
Baghdad Bob
866 Posts
The first DMV I tried was in Longwood which is 100 miles from here, but many before me had good luck there, not I. I left and they gave me a card with the regional manager in Tamps, Ugh! Threw it away and decided to go to the Local FULL SERVICE tag agency here in Sanford. Its not even in the same county that I live in.

The designations and Kit cars as I understand were all redone sometime in 2010. SO you may have been before this stuff was made easier. Anyway, form what I hear from other states, FL is a great state to title and tag a cobra.

·
5.4 32V enthusiast
23 Posts
Provided the DMV personnel follow the law, I wholeheartedly agree.
Florida is pretty great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Florida Registered !

Provided the DMV personnel follow the law, I wholeheartedly agree.
Florida is pretty great.
Thanks for the pointers ! took me 45 min and 4 people at the Tag Agency..
Got Antique Plate and Registered as 65 Replica

Kit arrived 9/7/2011
Engine Started 12/26/2011
Go Car Feb 2012
Been driving around subdivision making adjustments since
Registered 5/29/2012
Waiting on Body from Paint Shop to finish.
400 HP est..
Hope to Finish before end of June 2012

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Another one in Florida!

Thank you , MustangMan!
Went to the tax collectors office on Faulkenberg Rd in Brandon. Very nice people who were VERY appreciative I had printed out the instructions and brought them with me. Everything was going well until they needed a mileage statement from FFR. I called FFR and they typed a letter on their letterhead (as per tax collector's instructions) and faxed it right there. This is where it was very important to have been Patient and Pleasant with the staff and their supervisor. The letter FFR sends states the mileage is 0 but the computer will not accept that (as previously pointed out in this thread) so if you mention that to the nice person behind the counter they might just put in a "1" which the computer accepts. I had already bought insurance so I brought the insurance card which stated 1965 Shelby Cobra roadster (from State Farm) and that made it straightforward for them to accept that it was a replica of a 1965 car. This gets you the treasured 'antique' tag and it was all done. A lot of the time spent was waiting for the FFR fax to get into the tax collector's system, otherwise would have been about 45 minutes.
The contributors to this forum have been indispensably generous through the entire build. THANK YOU!!!!!!

81 - 100 of 139 Posts