Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone...

I know it's been posted here before that FL is one of the easier states to title and after doing it myself last weekend I wanted to follow up with links to the proper documents. FFR5310RD is Titled, Registered, Tagged, and Insured! Almost time to graduate!

You want to fill out your title application (form 82040) for a REPLICA. DO NOT check the box for kit car. Florida defines a kit car like a Fiero/Lamborghini kit, where a kit is added to an existing car to make it look like something else. The FFR Roadster is a REPLICA. Using the REPLICA status allows for the proper titling.

Anyway, read this form for the details:
TL-48 Application for Title

In a nutshell, the title will state year the replica is supposed to look like (1965) and the year of manufacturer will go in the "notes" box.

Look at the Exhibit A form. You need this info when you walk into the DMV:
  1. MCO/MSO, completed in your name (make sure it matches your FFR number)
  2. Title application (HSMV 82040)
  3. Your checkbook for FL sales tax, title fees, and registration (if doing so at that time)

THIS form explains the various title names (kit car, assembled from parts, etc.)

You can get the title application HERE

I hope this helps all the future FL builders...

Doing it this way allows for simple walk in titling (no inspection, etc.). My title reads "65 FFR RD" and you will also be waived the $100 new car fee due to the titled year of resemblance.

HTH...
Mark

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume it would be an ASPT (assembled from parts) with inspection needed since it does not resemble anything and technically is not a kit car (you're not adding on to a C5 chassis/body)...

Sorry...
Mark

·
Charter Member
354 Posts
Here's another little bit of info for Floridians; My car was originally titled as a NEW 2004 FFR RD Replica. I went to the Tag office in Lakeland today and they did a Title Modification to change the year to 1965 based on the revision of TL-48 last July. Cost was only $31.75. So if you had previously titled with the year that was on your MCO you can get it changed!

·
Benched
3,181 Posts
Here is another little update.

The state of Florida does not recognize Factory Five as a car manufacturer so they are looking into what bucket to put our cars in.

They will not give me a replica title because I am not a licensed manufacturer. They are saying in order to get a replica title it has to be a completely finished car with a standard VIN number.

They have me in limbo about what I can title my car as.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Mike, sorry to hear of the continuing saga...

Many of us sailed right through with "replica" and their OWN wording in the DMV statutes...

I would think worst case scenario they would make you do an ASPT application and have it inspected up here in Tampa and then they would apply a FL VIN sticker to it. Then your title would say "2008 ASPT" instead...

Please keep us updated on the situation...

Mark

·
Benched
3,181 Posts
Well hopefully my final update will be to say it's done!

At lunch today I got a call from the regional office of the DMV. They lady told me they would allow my request for a replica title but were going to be redefining the requirements. She said they would have a grace period to get them done and then no more without meeting the new requirements.

She gave me no particulars of time frame or additional requirements for this to occur. She did say they would probably require a weight slip and motor receipt.

I would suggest if you want a replica title you should apply now. You can always get the registration later.

Hope that helps.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like some good news is coming your way! I know of another FL builder that did have to get a weight slip, but any certified truck scale can do that for under 10 bucks.

Good luck!

Mark

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sa-Weet! Sorry to hear of the troubles, but at least you got titled the best way (new car, replica, '65, etc.)...

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased an unfinished project from a really good guy in Florida. He was pretty old and had lost the will to finish the project. I am worrying about the title though. The car came with a valid Florida title, the car is registered as a 1965 Roadster. The title is showing a VIN but I can't find it on the frame. I know that Florida assigned the vin (in the format of FFRXXXXL on the title) but the VIN has never been placed on the chassis. If anyone can point out just exactly where, and how, the vin should be placed I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Benched
3,181 Posts
The VIN I was assigned was located by the left of the steering column. It is on the 2x2 that runs horizontially. FFR supplies a plaque that you can stamp the VIN on. Since Florida's VIN is the same as FFR's VIN it would be on there twice but you have to stamp the VIN assigned from the DMV yourself.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the Replica title Florida does not ISSUE a VIN, it uses the number found on your MCO/MSO. Your FFR number will be on the frame. On the Mk III it is under the steering column upper bearing support bracket. Not sure about Mk II or Mk I locations. Florida only issues the VIN decal to ASPT titles since they are built from multiple sources and THEY apply it...

Mikey is referring to the FFR build plate BTW, you do NOT stamp your VIN into the frame, as it is already there (and illegal). He's referring to the 4x3 metal plate you can affix under the hood or in the cockpit stating when it was sold, etc. This is not a legal VIN plate, just for show...

HTH...
Mark

·
Tinkerer Extraordinaire
67 Posts
Quick Florida Registration

I went down to the County last week at lunch armed with all the documentation (notarized) in Mustang Man's first post. I guess I got lucky, as when the nice lady behind the counter asked for a weight slip, I handed her the spec sheet off of FFR's website saying that the car would weigh 2150lbs. This (and my check for sales tax and title fee) were enough for her.

I was in and out of the door in less than 30 minutes, and got the title out of the mail a week later.

I thought that getting the title would be a hard process...mainly because of previous dealings with the DMV. But...it turned out to be a breeze.

Mustang Man - thanks for this post. It should be the definitive Florida title/registration post!

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just happy to help see another one on the road in F-L-A...

Congrats!

Mark

·
Registered
61 Posts
Not so easy in Hollywood....registration.

Well, after reading all the positive threads/replies about FL registration, I walked into the Hollywood, Fl office and was told I'd have to take it to be inspected along with a few other documents......was it just that office or have things changed in the sout? This is my second trip/chance to register it.....the first office/ Delray Beach had no clue how to handle this application.....WTH!!?

Any help here would be great, I want to be ready to drive by nice weather....just as soon as all these hurricanes are gone.....ugh.

Mark
South Florida

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mark, as I stated in my PM, most office do not have a clue how to register/title, that's why I posted the links above and described the process. You have to go in there ready, knowing the form numbers, etc. and TELL them what to do, or you'll have problems.

In my case when I walked up to the window and stated I was here to title a replica she replied with "oh, a kit car?" and I corrected her (politely) and said "no, a replica, as per this form" and handed her the form to read and we sat down and filled it out together.

HTH...
Mark

1 - 20 of 139 Posts