Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my IRS spindle bushings with the poly bushings from VPM yesterday. I had spent too much time wondering whether I should use a press, or a gear puller, or a vise...you get the idea. Hootie came over to the house and we came up with a method that is very easy - almost made it a non-job. All you need is a short piece of 2" PVC, a long bolt/nut, a large flat washer (in our case we used the washer from my seal driver set), and two sockets/rachets. Goes something like this:

The short piece of PVC we used was about 4" long. The bolt was a donor bolt (I think from the steering rack):

2" PVC pops right over the outside of the bushing. The effort to start pressing it out is minimal.

After we got it this far we just popped it out by hand.

Both sides out, just waiting to be cleaned up slightly and have the new bushings installed.

For reassembly, we used a very short piece of PVC (about 1" long) on the inside of the spindle arms to allow the bushing to protrude during reassembly. Like others have said, the new poly bushing compresses a good bit when you are reinstalling it, but as long as it is well-lubed it eventually pops right through pretty easily.

Took about 30 minutes per side to remove/reinstall. VERY EASY JOB! I'm going to call this the "Hootie IRS Bushing Press".

BTW, the IRS poly/solid bushing kits that Craig has put together for VPM are well worth the money
. Thanks Craig!

[ February 03, 2006, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: TonyTiger ]

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Glad to be able to help somebody out.

William, I didn't know there were two Mapstones at VPM. Was Craig stealing all the credit? I really like the solid aluminum and poly bushings...great investment! I'm thinking real hard about the sway bars, but I have the FFR fuel cell...

·
944 Posts
Was Craig stealing all the credit?
TonyTiger, years ago Craig spent hours badgering the warehouse guys at Energy Suspension trying to find the bulk part#s for the bushings that would work for the T-Bird spindles. At the time, Factory Five Racing and others had stated that poly bushings were not available for the T-Bird spindles. Ironically many of the guys at Energy Suspension thought the same. Luckily through persistance Craig was able to get part#s for the T-Bird spindle. As it turns out, Energy Suspension had the molds but were not marketing them. So yes he deserves the credit. ;) Plus he's got more posts than me.

There are a couple of people with our new IRS bar that will work if our original bar hits your fuel cell. Forrest1 has posted pictures of it in a couple of threads. We have not updated our website yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts