Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had planned on a double pivot. When mocking it up I spotted an easier solution.

·
5,470 Posts
Need more close up pics of that.

If I'd had more time and new more about fiberglass/body work, I would have like to done something similar. No hood lines on top is definitely a different look.

·
just another builder
8,238 Posts
seems simple enough..so you just added the supports on either side of the "mouth" and hinged them on the body mount L-brackets?
where did you cut the body?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Nice job, and creative as usual. I have to believe that most owners would rather have a tilt nose than a hood. The access is incredible.

·
Cone Killer
1,781 Posts
I thought I saw an airdamn or splitter in one of your mock-ups. How will that clear? Or is that why it is not there anymore? I am very interested in this mod ... been wrestling with it. It does not look like I could pivot from this point without modification from the oil cooler inlet and below. I admire your creativeness and execution.

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
Wow, so simple! We usually make things harder than they should be. Just takes someone to come up with the easy way. What did you use for the brackets that you glassed in?

I'm going out to the shop and pushing my "Easy Button"!!

Thanks Hoofa...

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
Just enough to say, yea I think I see it. More pics?

·
Junior Charter Member
402 Posts
Hoofa,

Great idea. I would suggest moving the plywood sections to the outside of the frame support instead of the inside. The way you have it, it may interfere with the radiator. Unless of course you have other plans for that.

Snake

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Now that's an idea! I didn't want quick jacks anyway! Now if one our painters/body guys would offer that . . .

Mike

·
Junior Charter Member
816 Posts
You got mad skills, any chance you comming to lovely MN and giving me some pointers. Hell I'm just trying to get my body to fit. Patrick

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
I think we are all assuming it is a tilt front end since that is all we can see? After following the great Mr. Hoofa's posts, who is to say he is not trying to tilt the whole body?! :eek:

·
5,559 Posts
That is super close to the floor! 1" lower on the ride height, and you can say goodbye to your front end paint. Great concept, though - sometimes we tend to overthink things too much when a simple solution is staring right at us! I watch all of your posts because this is one cool project you have going - can't wait to see it painted!

Brian

·
Senior Charter Member
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to make an inner liner for the hood that will incorperate the ducting from the lower holes in the front to the intake and footboxes. It will also have inner fenders like a Vette. This will allow the outer shell to be thinner. The whole unit should be lighter and stiffer. Only time will tell???? Right now, I'm kinda stuck on adjustable mounting points for the hinges, any ideas are welcome.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Hoofa,

Wayne Presley did a flip nose on his orange Spec Racer and posted some pictures of the mechanism a couple of months ago. In his case, he hinged it from the bottom of the body lip to a point below the quick jack mounting. Just pointing this out in case you haven't seen it.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.