Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As promised, I got my molded ear plugs a couple of days ago, and here is my report. They cost me $100 a pair, but due to some insurance issues, they cost me $0. Woohoo!!! They fit real well, since they were molded to my ears. They are very comfortable during long periods of use. They cut around 80 percent of the noise. They never try to ooze out of my ears. I like them!

·
Registered
11,800 Posts
Your ears will thank you after every drive.

Are you able to slip a helmet over your head? My full-face helmet fits pretty tight and they tend to pull the earplugs out when slipping it on. It's impossible to stick your hand inside the helmet to push the plugs back in.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eddie, the answer is yes. I don't wear a helmet, but I'm pretty sure that you could wear one easily over these plugs. They are flat on the outside with only a small bump that holds the cord that holds them together.

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
Your ears will thank you after every drive.

Are you able to slip a helmet over your head? My full-face helmet fits pretty tight and they tend to pull the earplugs out when slipping it on. It's impossible to stick your hand inside the helmet to push the plugs back in.
I have issues with my ear plugs coming out when putting my helmet on as well. My ear buds are form fitted, but are also speakers for the radio communications in the race car. Very not good when one comes out and I am hurrying to get in the car. I frequently use pieces of duct tape over the outside of my ears to keep the ear buds from pulling out when putting on the helmet. Not the best look before and after, but who cares? Works great once the helmet is on and even better when putting on and taking off!

·
Curious George
173 Posts
I have issues with my ear plugs coming out when putting my helmet on as well. My ear buds are form fitted, but are also speakers for the radio communications in the race car. Very not good when one comes out and I am hurrying to get in the car. I frequently use pieces of duct tape over the outside of my ears to keep the ear buds from pulling out when putting on the helmet. Not the best look before and after, but who cares? Works great once the helmet is on and even better when putting on and taking off!
I've been curious about radio comms in car - do you mean person to person (like motorcycle setup) or person to other (outside the car)?

·
Registered
11,800 Posts
Those noise canceling helmets are amazing! I may need to soon be replacing my SA2005 helmet and if they work well it's probably worth the $550

Seem to be for motorcycles only, though.

Physically, helmets act like a bell and cause noise and sound to resonate inside your skull... maybe where Bell Helmets got their name :wink2:

·
Registered
16,313 Posts
I've been curious about radio comms in car - do you mean person to person (like motorcycle setup) or person to other (outside the car)?
We only have one person in the car.

I am talking communication to the spotter and pits. We run endurance races and these functions are critical for knowing when to pit, strategy, safety, etc.

We have contingency plans for when the radios are not working, but the radios and the ear buds are pretty critical for us.

Never heard of a noise canceling helmet. I will look into that next time I do a helmet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts