Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a fit of not knowing what to do next today, I dusted off the E brake handle and set it into the car. If I mod like FFR says, I loose the rear mounting hole, so I haven't done anything. It doesn't look like much room for the pass seat and it will have to go in at an angle to miss the E-brake lever. Got me thinking about mounting the handle to the tranny cover (w/ some structure below). Any one done that? Is the FFR way workable?

Help!

Tom

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ditto on what Mike said. I thought the same as you Tom, but once I got it in it worked fine.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Tom,

I got the idea for this setup from Wayne Presley. The location allows you to reach the handle while you're strapped in, and the Fiero handle folds back down after it's engaged.

Bottom view:

Cable exits:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Will Wayne's E-brake mod work on an IRS car?
It looks like it can be done but I would like to see if it has been tried.

Thanks Gents

Jeff

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
That e-brake thing is the best idea I've seen in a while. We should start posting one great idea a day on the front page of FFCars.com, and this one wins today!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Jeff,
Also using Fiero e-brake handle on an IRS. In fact, appears that you only need one of the cables that FFR includes with the kit. The rest of the hardware is off my donor '97 Mark VIII. Appears Webshots blocks using a link to the photos. Here is the direct link to the url : webshots photo albums

the photos are in the 3rd album

Unlike Redd Snake I'll have to mount the handle above the floor as I used 1x2 .120 rectangular tubing to reinforce the cockpit floor.

Don

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,076 Posts
Where's the best place to get a fiero E-brake setup?

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
What parts are required?...just the brake handle mechanism, or cables too? How much should we expect to pay?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I too am interested in the parts that are used for the Fiero e-brake mod. Please let us know.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
175 Posts
Redd
Do you have any interference betwen your seat and the handle? I think Wayne mounted his on top and to the outside of the 3/4 tubing.

Dan

·
Registered
212 Posts
Here's the parts list for the left side e-brake setup:

84-88 Fiero Lever Assy. PN: 56085 $39.95 www.fierostore.com
84-87 Front E-brake Cable PN: 56086 $25.95 www.fierostore.com
84-88 Black E-brake Boot PN: 56007 $24.95 www.fierostore.com
Stock Mustang E-brake cable (either side)

From Home Depot:
¼” Threaded rod w/Nylok nuts
5/8” Spacer
¾” x 3” angled steel for Equalizer Bar
Grommets for cable exits
Cable ends (from West Marine)

The equalizer is made from ¾” angle steel with an oversized hole for the threaded rod and slots cut into the ends for the cables. I bent up the tips of the ends so that the cables wouldn’t slip off. The threaded rod allows for adjustment.

The left side cable is a straight shot down the lower control arm. I used a Mustang cable, but I’ll have to shorten it quite a bit.

I routed the right side cable up and over the rear end through the triangular spaces created where the 3/4” tube supports the 2”x3” corner joint. I used the Fiero cable because the Mustang cable is too short to reach the new handle location. I had to cut off about 3” of the Fiero cable (but did not cut or shorten the housing itself) and swage on a new cable stop so that the distance from the stop to the end of the cable housing matched that of the Mustang cable.

I plan on weatherproofing the entire mechanism with a removable aluminum cover. Only the cables to the rear side of the grommets will be exposed to the elements. From here the cables are routed to the drums/calipers.

Not sure how this would work with an IRS. As long as the 3/4” and 2x2 tubes under the seat are the same, you would get the same cable exit point. Not sure how the routing would work from there.

Tom, as for seat clearance, this setup will not interfere with Sube Clubmans. You bring up a good point, though, as I am not sure if this location will clear the stock seats. If they are wider than the Clubmans, it might be an issue.

More pictures can be found at: http://members12.clubphoto.com/brett550252/700754/owner-a89b.phtml

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Redd Snake:
Great explanation and super pictures. The only question I have left is how you adapted the Fiero cable to the Ford caliper?

Happy Motoring

·
Registered
198 Posts
Redd Snake,
Just ordered the parts that you listed from The Fiero Store. That is a great set-up that you have.
Thanks,
Scott

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Actually I had 2 questions. In addition to advising how the Fiero cable adapts to the Ford caliper, has anyone mounted the handle outside the frame tube to give that extra width for seat clearance?
Happy Motoring

·
Registered
212 Posts
oldguy,

Here are some pics of how the Fiero cable adapts to the Ford caliper. The cable end is a little smaller than the one on the Ford cable, but it fits into the lever just fine.

The only modification I had to make was to cut off about 1/2" off the aluminum tip on the Fiero cable end.

[ March 29, 2002, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: Redd Snake ]

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Jeez..those calipers look good enough to eat....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts